Gerry Davis selling MLB pants

mw94
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1883 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Has anyone reviewed them, and compared them with Smitty's golf pants? I don't mind spending some dough to buy the best (read: years of Honig's polywools), but I'd like to know if they're that much better. Also, do they come with a permanent crease? 

p.s. I still can't forgive him for the Davishield. 

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Ok gentlemen - here's my honest review of the Fechheimer MLB Pro-Style poly-spandex pants compared to the Smitty.

*Disclaimer* I've only owned one set (meaning plate and base) of the Smitty poly-spandex. So my observations are limited to the two pairs I have owned. Maybe I bought some from a different batch than you and that's why I experienced the things I have.

Construction: They have a more heavy-duty feel without actually being heavier. The pants just seem higher quality to me than the Smitty's.

Fit: @Chris Hickman is right - the cut is a lot better. I only wear base pants on the bases (not combos) and the legs on the Smitty base pants were too wide. On windy nights, the flapping of the pant legs drove me crazy.

Appearance & Color: Chris said they're slightly lighter but I can't see any difference at all. Maybe I don't have the right light but they seem the same shade of charcoal grey. Also, and this might not be true for everyone, but they don't have a shiny look about them like the Smitty's do. Mine always looked like they were starched even though I always washed them at home and hung them to dry. And there is no permanent crease.

Price: They are more expensive than the Smitty's but I feel it's worth it. They are $79.99 now on gerrydavis.com instead of $89.99. I know that's still $20 more than Smitty but you'd just have to decide if the differences are worth the extra money.

For me, I think they are an upgrade to Smitty. I'm happy with mine and will be wearing them this season. So bring on the comments!

@codizzle and @Chris Hickman, does the Davis pants have the weird placement of the belt loops? I purchased the Davis-Fechheimer poly wool pants a few years back. I like them. But the placement of the belt loops move the ball bags just slightly off the center of my hips. And found myself having to reach just a tad more (not a lot but noticeable to me) towards my rear. Nothing horrible. But just enough to be kind of annoying. 

25 minutes ago, codizzle said:

@BT_Blue - 

I had the poly-wools as well and the poly-spandex have the same placement of the belt loops. Thanks for bringing that up, though. It was one thing I missed in my review.

Truth be told. On a pretty darn good pair of polywool pants. My biggest complaint is the placement of the belt loops. No one else would notice. But it for sure is enough to become a distraction on the field.

Also, the polywool pants didn't come with the permanent crease either. So not that much of an issue since you just get it done at your tailor of choice.

Great review. Thanks!

It's good to hear the cut on the base pants are better, and concur with the flapping in the breeze with the Smitty's. 

The Smitty material was ground breaking, and a game changer. It was just a matter of time until someone built on that with better quality. 

It will be interesting to see what happens when Nike steps in, when they assume the uniform contract at the MLB level. They've never been shy about logo placement, and know the value of it. One would think they'd look at shoes, pants, shirts and hats. 

Do we know where the GD pants are made? Most  modern golf shirts/pants I have are made in Vietnam, as they seem to have market cornered in this market. 

6 hours ago, BT_Blue said:

@codizzle and @Chris Hickman, does the Davis pants have the weird placement of the belt loops? I purchased the Davis-Fechheimer poly wool pants a few years back. I like them. But the placement of the belt loops move the ball bags just slightly off the center of my hips. And found myself having to reach just a tad more (not a lot but noticeable to me) towards my rear. Nothing horrible. But just enough to be kind of annoying. 

Geesh, just get some different hips.

14 hours ago, kylejt said:

I'm not sure why they want to hang their hat on the three belt loops in the back as their "signature", as that might be some sort of good thing. 

I could care less put the three loops. It's the ones on the hip that drive me to distraction.

On 1/6/2019 at 5:24 PM, kylejt said:

I'm not sure why they want to hang their hat on the three belt loops in the back as their "signature", as that might be some sort of good thing. 

If I had a nickel for every time I or one of my partners missed one of those loops with a belt, I'd have a SH*#load of nickels.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Matt said:

If I had a nickel for every time I or one of my partners missed one of those loops with a belt, I'd have a SH*#load of nickels.

I'll have to pay more attention this season to what pants guys are wearing. For the longest time, this was a Honigs area due to them having a store close by in Salem. But since they closed, it has become more Ump-attire and Davis. Actually a lot of Davis since he is the shirt supplier for the state. So it is just easier to get stuff from him when you order the shirt.

• 3 weeks later...

I just got the Davis Pro pants in the mail today. I concur that the cut is better and they seem to be an upgrade to the Smitty’s. I don’t have an issue with paying more for a better product.  I’ll be test driving them over the next several weeks and will report back.