In field fly

Guest Mike
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1945 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Runners on first and second, ball hit in front of plate, ump calls infield fly, if fair. Ball lands, untouched, bounces behind plate, ump calls foul ball. What happens to batter. 

13 answers to this question

21 minutes ago, Guest Mike said:

Runners on first and second, ball hit in front of plate, ump calls infield fly, if fair. Ball lands, untouched, bounces behind plate, ump calls foul ball. What happens to batter. 

Add a strike to the count unless there were 2 strikes. Batter stays at bat. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Guest Mike said:

Invariably the batter hits the next pitch out of the park.   Catcher is benched for the rest of the week.

2 hours ago, beerguy55 said:

Invariably the batter hits the next pitch out of the park.   Catcher is benched for the rest of the week.

Maybe more like this.....Invariably the batter hits the next pitch out of the park   Coach goes off on umpire claiming “That’s on you blue, you called him out on an infield fly and changed the call. You need to learn the rules”.....An so ends this coach’s day on the diamond. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, Lou B said:

Infield Fly IF FAIR - it was Foul so it is Not an Infield Fly.

Why is that hard to understand?

As others have stated, it's just a foul ball.  Play on.

Well, we don't have the context, do we?  That is, what happened on the field to spark the question?

Ump call batter out anyway?  Or dead ball, no strike added?   Or did coach argue one of those positions? (more likely)

IFF tends to confuse people and shut their brains off in the moment - especially if they don't see it a lot.  I've seen all these things argued by coaches, players and umps alike:

• IFF is a dead ball
  • Runner must tag up until the ball LANDS
  • IFF is in effect with only R1
  • IFF is in effect with two outs
  • IFF is in effect with R2/R3 (no R1)
  • And I've seen complete and total confusion around runners advancing on a foul ball, and the whole laws of foul balls changing when IFF is called - (ie. because IFF was called it's not REALLY a foul ball)

So, yeah, it should be easy to understand, but I've seen many umps, coaches and players completely forget, in the moment, that once you throw the IFF out of the window, it's still just a plain old foul ball - everyone's focused on whether or not it's an IFF.

I'll throw out a twist on this - if this is slow pitch with two strikes the batter is out regardless.

And, again, I can see confusion in everyone just remembering it's not an IFF so the batter is fine, and forgetting that it's still a foul ball.

3 hours ago, Lou B said:

Beerguy55 - the original post said the umpire called it a foul ball.

That's the correct call.

It's the manager/coach that needs to learn the rules (which is true in most (but not all) cases)!

Yes - we know that.  This is why I asked if the ump called him out anyway.  That would imply I'm well aware the ump called it foul.

We don't know what the umpire did after calling foul ball, nor do we know what the coach did/said.   So, we don't know, for sure, why the question is being asked (except that the OP doesn't know for sure - and belittling him for not understanding that is unnecessary).   I can see a scenario where the umpire somehow got this wrong, and the poster is asking because now they're not so sure of what they always  believed to be true (ie. the poster may have always figured this was just a plain old foul ball, but the umpire called something else)

The other possibility is it's just a hypothetical, and not actually experienced by the OP - he just doesn't know the answer - and, again, belittling him for not understanding that is unnecessary. 

You may guess to the reason for the post, and you may be right, but it's still speculation.

As I stated above, I've seen it all when it comes to IFF's, from coaches and umpires alike - so I'm leaving all possibilities on the table.

3 hours ago, beerguy55 said:

Yes - we know that.  This is why I asked if the ump called him out anyway.  That would imply I'm well aware the ump called it foul.

It asked what happens to the batter.  Maybe be asking about a call. May be hypothetical.  Just answer it. Adding wouda shoulda couldas just confuses people. 

5 hours ago, Rich Ives said:

It asked what happens to the batter.  Maybe be asking about a call. May be hypothetical.  Just answer it. Adding wouda shoulda couldas just confuses people. 

I was responding to Lou B's question - evident by the fact that I quoted his post in my response.  But keep 'em coming.

I've gotten to the point that all I yell is "Infield Fly" and keep my hand pointing up whether it's close to the line or not. I just think it's too much hollering and nobody hears what we say anyway. I swear it seems like IFF causes multiple arguments from varsity down every year. I figure "Infield Fly" and mechanic is sufficient. If it falls foul then I call foul and we go back to bat. If the coach complains I remind (teach) him that the rule says "if fair." If the ball drops fair I loudly shout "batter is out" several times. I think less is more in this and most cases.