Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
sd181612

Future Nike Apparel?!

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

I like it. Not a fan of the Nike logo on the chest, but as a start, not bad. But this looks like a homemade deal trying to sell a $20 pullover for $80

Shirts? Meh. At this point, I could take 'em or leave 'em. I'm just convinced that the more modern they get, the harder the eastern states will cling to the navy with red & white trim stripes shirt as the "official shirt" of their high school / American Legion / Little League / whatever associations. And Nike putting the swoosh on the chest will just fuel their anti-corporate, anti-marketing contempt.

Pants? As in, athletic slacks made of Dri-FIT in ready-to-wear styles and sizes? Engineered to not fade (as rapidly), and not costing $80 per unit? Yes please.

• Like 5

14 hours ago, JSam21 said:

I like it. Not a fan of the Nike logo on the chest, but as a start, not bad. But this looks like a homemade deal trying to sell a $20 pullover for $80

Very true...I just noticed the MLB logo seems a little crooked and quite tiny. 

I think the jacket and logo is legit.  The pic is of a jacket laying flat, which will naturally have wrinkles that could distort the logo.  Now, does this mean that Nike is making MLB umpire gear?  :shrug::question1:

I have seen other Nike MLB team gear.

nike mlb.jpg

This is not an MLB Umpire product

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, wolfe_man said:

I have seen other Nike MLB team gear.

53 minutes ago, Razzer said:

This is not an MLB Umpire product.

Ray is usually has a finger on the pulse of MLB Umpire gear, so I'm inclined to believe him.

Nike has a supplier's contract with Major League Baseball for select fan apparel, undershirts, staff shirts (polos, half-zips, etc.), hoodies, staff wear, and staff footwear. They share the footwear mantle with New Balance, who (of course) has it for staff footwear, as well as MLB Umpires footwear and supplemental shirts (undershirts, polos, etc.).

Majestic still has the contract for on-field jerseys, shirts and jackets for both players and umpires. All the hoodies worn by the players / staff during the postseason were Majestic.

New Era, '47, Nike and UnderArmour share (not equally, but do) the contract for hats.

I would venture a guess that the Nike 1/4-zip pictured above isn't an Umpire article, as Ray points out. Instead, it might have been supplied to MLB Support Staff, such as the Video Replay techs, or the coordinators, or the Umpire handlers, or anything else that is in Operations on behalf of MLB, not the individual franchise team and/or the ballpark.

There are alot of people involved in putting on a baseball game.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I thought Nike still had another season or two before they take over?

Could this maybe be a prototype based on a current design? 

Edited by BT_Blue
Forget to finish my thought

7 hours ago, BT_Blue said:

I thought Nike still had another season or two before they take over?

Could this maybe be a prototype based on a current design? 

I thought Nike didn't end up getting the contract.  I remember another post on this Nike MLB discussion.

3 hours ago, wolfe_man said:

I thought Nike didn't end up getting the contract.  I remember another post on this Nike MLB discussion.

As far as I remember they still have it. Originally Under Amour had it. But couldn't fulfill the requirements by the 2020 deadline. So Nike bought it from them.

But I can never remember if if Nike is taking over 2019 or 2020.

On 11/16/2018 at 9:36 AM, BT_Blue said:

As far as I remember they still have it. Originally Under Amour had it. But couldn't fulfill the requirements by the 2020 deadline. So Nike bought it from them.

But I can never remember if if Nike is taking over 2019 or 2020.

Hurray :), more shirts for guys like us to buy right?!?!!?