Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
Sign in to follow this  
Jimurray

2019 Casebook now on Arbiter

"*6.1.1 SITUATION A: 

F1 pitches with the toe of his pivot foot (right foot for right-handed pitcher) in contact with the pitcher's plate but his heel is outside a line through the end edge of the plate. He pitches from (a) windup position, or (b) set position. 

RULING: Legal in (a) and (b), provided that F1's pivot foot is parallel to the pitcher's plate."

It would make sense to me if the comma was after (a) but I'm not a punctuation expert.

"*6.1.3 SITUATION A: 

F1 takes the set position with his pivot foot entirely in front of and parallel with the pitcher's plate. F1's non-pivot foot is entirely in front of his pivot foot (toward home plate) but is not within the plane of each end of the pitcher's plate. 

RULING: This is legal, since only part of the pivot foot is required to be parallel to the pitcher's plate, within the plane of each end of the pitcher's plate, and in contact with it. The non-pivot foot is required to be entirely in front of the front plane of the pitcher's plate but does not have to be within the plane of each end of the pitcher's plate."

Luckily the foot does not have a pivot in the instep allowing the part not in contact to not be parallel :)

"*8.3.2 SITUATION L: 

R1 is advancing on the pitch and F6 drops to a knee while taking the throw, partially blocking the inside edge of the base. R1 slides to the inside edge of the base, contacts F6's knee, and is then tagged out. The head coach of Team A argues this should be called obstruction. 

RULING: This is not obstruction as F6 did provide access to part of second base, even though it was not the part of the base that R1 wanted or believed was most advantageous."

I think this was just an interp before and now it's a caseplay.

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
On 11/14/2018 at 11:38 AM, Jimurray said:

*8.3.2 SITUATION L: 

R1 is advancing on the pitch and F6 drops to a knee while taking the throw, partially blocking the inside edge of the base. R1 slides to the inside edge of the base, contacts F6's knee, and is then tagged out. The head coach of Team A argues this should be called obstruction. 

RULING: This is not obstruction as F6 did provide access to part of second base, even though it was not the part of the base that R1 wanted or believed was most advantageous."

I think this was just an interp before and now it's a caseplay.

Agree. That's always been the interpretation.