Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
Sign in to follow this  
Jimurray

Defensive Conference for a sub

My 2011 BRD has this statement regarding NCAA subs: "When an offensive substitute enters the game. do not charge an offensive trip even if team members confer. (6-5f-5). Hint @Senor Azul who has a more current one.

But in 2017 NCAA added 6-5-e, stating that "6-5-e Clarifies that requests for a substitute constitutes an offensive
or defensive conference".

"6-5-e.    A player or coach requests time for a substitution, a charged offensive or defensive conference, for equipment changes, or for similar cause."

But NCAA left 6-5f-5 in the book:
"(5) An offensive meeting shall not be charged if time is called for the purpose of making an offensive substitution, attending to an injured player or making an equipment change."

It would be rare to see a defensive sub during the half inning other than one involving the pitcher but if it did happen it would seem we should charge a trip. If the coach had used his 3 trips already would we allow the sub and pull the pitcher?

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

As the noted philosopher Ynigo Montoya would say, “I don’t think that rule means what you think it means.” Here’s the rule from the beginning and when it is read in toto I think you will find there is no conflict.

2017-18 NCAA rule 6-5

Dead Ball—Play Suspended

SECTION 5. Time shall be called by the umpire and play is suspended when:

e. A player or coach requests time for a substitution, a charged offensive or defensive conference, for equipment changes, or for similar cause.

I take that to mean umpires are directed to call time (to suspend play) when there is a substitution; when there is a charged conference; or for similar cause. The following rule you cite (6-5f-5) just tells us that a substitution is not a charged conference even though play is suspended (time is out).

1 hour ago, Senor Azul said:

As the noted philosopher Ynigo Montoya would say, “I don’t think that rule means what you think it means.” Here’s the rule from the beginning and when it is read in toto I think you will find there is no conflict.

2017-18 NCAA rule 6-5

Dead Ball—Play Suspended

SECTION 5. Time shall be called by the umpire and play is suspended when:

e. A player or coach requests time for a substitution, a charged offensive or defensive conference, for equipment changes, or for similar cause.

I take that to mean umpires are directed to call time (to suspend play) when there is a substitution; when there is a charged conference; or for similar cause. The following rule you cite (6-5f-5) just tells us that a substitution is not a charged conference even though play is suspended (time is out).

The wording of the 2015 rule would direct you to call time in those instances. 

“e. A player or coach requests time for a substitution, a legal conference with the pitcher, for equipment changes or for similar cause;
A.R. A conference is a legal meeting between the player and the coach or a nonplaying representative. “

Why change to clarify that time for a sub is a conference although only on defense since they left 6-5f-5 in, allowing no limit on offensive time outs for subs. 

What say your BRD?

Mr. Jimurray, I feel sheepish, oh so sheepish. I read your post and thought I understood it but still failed to take into account your mentioning the clarification of the editorial change the NCAA made in rule 6-5. I have to agree with you that there seems to be a conflict but I do not know how to reconcile it. The funny thing is the NCAA does not seem to see anything wrong as evidenced by their rule changes for 2019-20. They are still tinkering with the same rule about conferences but no clarification was added--

2019 NCAA rule change to 6-5f To allow six (6) defensive conferences per game for a regulation game. A maximum of three (3) of these defensive conferences may include a coach.

Rationale--To improve pace of play by limiting the number of defensive conferences initiated by defensive players (such as the catcher or infielders) to three (3) beyond the three (3) visits the coach is currently permitted to make.

2019 NCAA rule change Delete 6.5f.4 To charge an offensive conference if the batter runner or runners leave their position during a defensive conference.

Rationale-- To decrease the number of unnecessary delays during breaks in the game and allow for consistency in charging offensive and defensive conferences.