Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
Guest hesouuuut

Jim Evans School

Question

Guest hesouuuut

Hello, I am a 20 year old aspiring MLB umpire. I currently work an average 120 game year including Division II, III and juco conference and non-conference games in addition to a local summer league. I have been considering attending Jim Evans school to gain knowledge and skills with a former MLB umpire. Does anyone have any experience or recommendations? Thanks

13 answers to this question

there are only 2 schools ......... Wendelstedt, and the MiLB Umpire Academy.  Evan's school no longer exists.

• Like 1

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

Perhaps, Mr. Thunderheads, our guest meant clinic instead of school. Even though you are correct that Mr. Evans' umpire academy no longer exists he still does clinics. In fact, Jim Evans just had a clinic in San Diego a couple of weeks ago. I have never been fortunate enough to attend one of his clinics but I think some of our contributors have. They could help our guest by sharing their experiences.

The guest states that he aspires to MLB. If that is the case he has to go to one of the MiLB feeder schools to start on the path. JEAPU is no longer an option and clinics dont feed MiLB.  Get yourself to Florida nest month young man and enjoy the experience 

• Like 1

The operative word in the question is "20". My advice (notice I say advice... not a directive or an order, which sooooooo many guys are too quick to give) is to consider and exercise that which is a core fundamental of umpiring (and a word you'll hear a lot while being instructed) – timing. While there isn't an exact number given by the League or the schools, the "window" appears to be between 22/23 and 30. @Radwaste50 is correct in that the only way into "the pipeline" (the path to The Show) is through either or both of the two schools (Wendlestedt or The MiLB Academy). However, there are several other ways to prepare yourself, structure your tools and skills, discipline your on- and off- field activities, and gain experience prior to (a) School so that your enrollment and attendance is the most effective for you.

Jim Evans' clinics, or those put on by equitable experienced umpires, are examples of these steps. Another is to locate big-time baseball events, such as CBUA Showcase, USSSA Winter Nationals, MSBL World Series, Perfect Game Classics, etc. – events that are in need of competent umpires for game coverage and which are coordinated by top-level umpires with proven track records and connections. For example, one of the MSBL World Series events is held here in Phoenix (they also have others in Florida, Las Vegas, and San Diego). It is always looking for umpires. It is coordinated and administered by a professional umpire JB. JB is extremely well-connected, and is deeply involved in college baseball throughout mid-America. One of the reasons I relocated to Phoenix from Wisconsin (besides @KenBAZ elbowing me to do so) was JB serving as my evaluator at the CBUA Showcase event held in Iowa.

Another option to explore is the MLB Umpires Evaluation (Day) Camps. The locations vary year-by-year, but they are free to attend, structured in a curriculum that is only positive and beneficial to you, and present to you an opportunity to impress and warrant a scholarship to attend one of the Schools! I attended one 3 years ago in Chicago, and it was wholly beneficial. (see here for 2018, as reference; 2019 is not published yet: http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/official_info/umpires/camp/index.jsp?content=mlbuc_clinics )

One more recent option to consider is going through a placement in an independent pro/summer league. @jwclubbie has established an Umpire Placement Course/Camp to serve as a training, evaluation and connection portal through which to work in one of several independent pro/summer leagues (he has the details). As part of their payment structure, some of these leagues offer scholarships to attend one of the two Schools of your choice. So not only are you getting trained and evaluated by professional umpires, but you're also working alongside other established umpires, in games which will begin to relate to the speeds and talent levels that the Minor Leagues possess, all while earning money and credits (scholarship dollars) towards enrolling in a School.

The alternative route is to just pay the $3,000+ tuition, walk in to a School, and see if you sink or swim. And even if you swim, have someone tell you, "You're good, kid, but... ", and have that "but" followed by "you're not old enough yet", "your fitness needs some work", "you need more experience", etc... any number of things that you could have been told now, in a setting that doesn't leave you financially, psychologically, and emotionally spent, or precarious. 

• Like 1

A friend of mine was just at the Jim Evans clinic in SD... He's preparing for a training class in Vero Beach.    

I can give you his number if interested in speaking with him directly. 

1 minute ago, Double Up said:

A friend of mine was just at the Jim Evans clinic in SD... He's preparing for a training class in Vero Beach.    

I can give you his number if interested in speaking with him directly. 

Would you ask your friend whether they did the ball over the foul line demo at the clinic and whether they are calling it foul or fair?

6 hours ago, Jimurray said:

Would you ask your friend whether they did the ball over the foul line demo at the clinic and whether they are calling it foul or fair?

he didnt understand the question and asked me to specify.    I  imagine you mean part of the ball os over the fair foul line...   what is the call

6 hours ago, Jimurray said:

if it’s in regards to a fielder making contact with the ball. If any part of that ball, in your judgement, is on the foul line then it’s a fair ball. Just like if any part of the ball touches the foul line

1 minute ago, Double Up said:

if it’s in regards to a fielder making contact with the ball. If any part of that ball, in your judgement, is on the foul line then it’s a fair ball. Just like if any part of the ball touches the foul line

What if the ball is stationary and a third of the ball is over but not touching the foul line and 2/3rds is over foul territory and touching foul territory. Evans clinics used to show that ball from various angles and ask the students if foul or fair. Back before the MLBUM interp Evans and his instructors had that ball fair. Did they do that demo at the SD clinic and, if so, what did they have?

1 hour ago, Double Up said:

sounds like a dang soccer ruling...   that ball is foul all day and twice on Sundays.  I'll ask him.

Most of us and Jim Evans would have that ball fair until the MLBUM made this interp this year as addressed in this thread and a CCS blog, also referenced in the thread, about the "change".

Shows how much I know...   I would have always called the ball foul unless the ball was in anyway in contact w/ the line. 

Soccer has a rule whereas any part of the circumference of the ball over the line is in bounds.  I've never once thought this to be the same in baseball myself personally.  again, just goes to show how much I know.

In the past I've always gone with the foul (fair) pole ruling. If any part of the ball hits the pole it's a fair ball.  So, previously, if any part of the ball was over the foul (fair) line, it was fair.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.