Runner intentional interference

jjskitours
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1994 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

R2 and no outs. On a ground ball to F6, R2 intentionally stutter steps in front of F6. However, F6 fields the ball and throws out B2. The umpire calls R2 out for INT and awards B2 first base. Does anyone disagree with this call and want to get 2 outs? Any case play to support either position under NF or OBR

11 answers to this question

For this play I'm watching for hindrance. When F6 fields the ball cleanly and makes the play he wants to make, I've got nothing.

In a play with hindrance, I'd get 1 out here. For OBR, the criterion is willful and deliberate attempt to break up a double play, but unless the runners do something dumb only 1 out is likely. For FED, the bar is lower (DP is possible), but I'd treat it the same.

The only way to get a double play is if the umpire judged the intent of the interference was to prevent a double play.  With R2 and no outs for a double play the fielder would need to field the ball, tag the runner and then throw to first in time to get the runner - not likely since it sounds like the runner passed the fielder during the play.

Stutter stepping while going by the fielder may or may not be interference but if the ump judged that it was then the ball is dead, the runner is out and the batter is awarded first.  To me, since F6 fielded the ball and threw out the batter/runner it doesn't sound like there was runner interference but if the ump judged there was then there was!

13 hours ago, jjskitours said:

R2 and no outs. On a ground ball to F6, R2 intentionally stutter steps in front of F6. However, F6 fields the ball and throws out B2. The umpire calls R2 out for INT and awards B2 first base. Does anyone disagree with this call and want to get 2 outs? Any case play to support either position under NF or OBR

Did he stutter step in front of F6 or to avoid getting hit by the ball?

Actually I raise this situation because we had a number of veterans who believe because R2 intentionally interfered or at least attempted to interfere (I realize the putout at 1st may infer no INT), there should be a 2 out penalty.  However, does the umpire wait to see if the out is made or immediately call INT when it’s obvious that it was R2’s intention to disrupt the play. 

It’s not possible to get two outs from this, with this being a ground ball (pop fly is different, see below), and R2 only. With no force play, there isn’t a DP to turn. Thus, either we are calling the R2 out for Interference or we’re not, as @maven was alluding to. If we have Interference in this case, then the ball is Dead – it’s the same as if the ball touched R2, or if R2 makes physical contact with the fielder making a play. Since this isn’t an Interference to break up a DP (such as a FPSR violation), then what the fielder does with the ball next is irrelevant... that ball is already Dead, and R2 is out. BR is placed on 1B.

If we choose the other option, and interpret that act as not hindering or impeding (and the fielder’s successful fielding of the ball is borne out by that), then we have BR out at 1B anyway, right?

There is a belief amongst some amateur umpires that we (as umpires) need to punish, and thereby prevent further, inappropriate baseball behavior and shenanigans. That it’s our way of “policing the game”. Thing is, there isn’t rule support for it. So, from instances like the above situation, we’re only able to get 1 out.

Lastly, two outs can be the result of a pop fly. You’ll see this most often near an occupied base. Pop fly, and the protected fielder is interfered with by the Runner. We cannot ignore this, and the penalty of Out is applied to the Runner. The ball is successfully caught by the defense, thus the BR is out, too, as would be expected.

1 hour ago, MadMax said:

Lastly, two outs can be the result of a pop fly. You’ll see this most often near an occupied base. Pop fly, and the protected fielder is interfered with by the Runner. We cannot ignore this, and the penalty of Out is applied to the Runner. The ball is successfully caught by the defense, thus the BR is out, too, as would be expected.

Be careful with this in baseball.  If the runner is on the base any interference has to be judged intentional. 

19 hours ago, jjskitours said:

Actually I raise this situation because we had a number of veterans who believe because R2 intentionally interfered or at least attempted to interfere (I realize the putout at 1st may infer no INT), there should be a 2 out penalty.  However, does the umpire wait to see if the out is made or immediately call INT when it’s obvious that it was R2’s intention to disrupt the play. 

“A number of veterans” need to back to basic training. 

On 11/2/2018 at 5:27 PM, MadMax said:

Ok, maybe I'm having some brain freeze, or memory lapse, but where can I find this interp other than deliberate attempt to break up a double play, (or chance of a double play in FED).

Let's say, R2, no outs, pop fly around 2B, R2 interefers with F6 catching the pop up as R2 tries to get back to 2B.  Dead ball, TOI, R2 out, BR to 1B. Am I missing something?? 

From the 2016 BRD (section 343, p. 226):

R2, R3. The suicide squeeze is on. B1 bunts a pop-up toward short, but before the fielder can make the play, R2 bumps him, and the ball falls to the ground. BR advances to first, and R3 goes home. The umpire is convinced that, following the catch, F6 had an easy toss to third for a double play on R3.  Ruling:  In FED, R3 and R2 are out. BR gets first. In NCAA/OBR, R2 and BR are out and R3 return to third.

But there is a very high standard—the FED umpire must believe the defense could have completed the double play had there been no interference. If he does not, he may not call out two players. (8-4-1h, 8-4-2g)

• Thanks 1

Ok. Let me tweek it a little. 

Humpback liner at F6. R2 interferes getting back to 2B. Would be back to second in plenty of time. No chance at doubling him up. R3 is on the bag at third.

we still get R2 and BR in OBR/NCAA and just R2 in FED?