Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

I recently purchased a brand new Nike TI mask. I noticed that its no longer made in Thailand and now made in China. Has anyone else seen a difference in masks?

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

Did it have tags on it? I'll have to look at the complete one I have and see if mine is the same.

31 minutes ago, gnhbua93 said:

If it is a Nike mask made in China it must be fake.

And it isnt if it is from Thailand?  Cause THEY are so trustworthy. Lol

3 hours ago, Varsity07 said:

I recently purchased a brand new Nike TI mask.

From where and how?

I noticed that its no longer made in Thailand and now made in China.

Where did a previous one note or disclose that it was made in Thailand? Where does this current one disclose that it's made in China?

Has anyone else seen a difference in masks?

There has been a difference in the masks of the "Icon" family over the past 10 years, as the planform has been refined, experimented on with different gauges of Titanium, hollow steel, and lately Titanal (pronounced Ty´-tin-ahl), and been shopped around to different fabrication shops.

The tag that comes on the harness tells you when and where it was made. My new one was made on May 3, 2018 in China.

Taiwan is technically part of China. China has been trying harder and harder to bring Taiwan more fully into their grips, so it's possible this was made in Taiwan and China slapped a 'Made in China' tag on it to show their ultimate control.

To my knowledge, the Nike Ti's were - and are - only made in Taiwan.

Taiwan is governed by the Republic of China and is a part of China and Hong Kong is a part of China as well. 

34 minutes ago, midtnump said:

Taiwan is governed by the Republic of China and is a part of China and Hong Kong is a part of China as well. 

Yes, but the Taiwanese think of themselves as independent.  They are governed by the Republic of China (ROC) versus the mainland's People's Republic of China (PRC).  It's an old story and a long one, but PRC (mainland China) has been trying to bring them more in line with their thinking in recent years.  The US government only recognizes one China, but Taiwan isn't officially part of the PRC, but is part of the territory claimed as one China.  

So they are... but they aren't if that makes sense.  I guess it is similar to our territories (i.e. Puerto Rico, Guam, US Virgin Islands, etc.).

In short, I guess we agree. It's different, but it evidently works for them. :)

• Like 1

I’m still waiting to hear how Thailand figures into the equation, and where and how a Nike Titanium was purchased. They’re not for retail sale here in the US. Because they’re imported, surely, they have to have a declared value and a tag, but Nike has not made them purchase-able through retail, or even wholesale, channels.

From what I’ve researched, the Titanium frames are produced in a single shop, likely in Taiwan. This shop is not responsible for the pads, nor the harness, so it is entirely likely that the frames are combined with their accoutrements in Thailand (where a number of Nike -brand fabric products are sourced), or that was shifted to China so as to bypass tariffs, taxes, and limitations. In either case, until I/we hear where and how the new Nike Ti Icon was purchased, we really can’t speculate as to its authenticity... again, because they’re not available to the domestic public.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, midtnump said:

@wolfe_man   I completely get it, I was trying to give a cliff notes answer  and not give the entire history answer. 

Sorry, been crazy this week and was in a hurry.  No doubt I misjudged and jumped to a wrong conclusion.  Thanks for being fair and not ripping me, which I deserve. :)

@wolfe_man  No worries here, I didn't see anything wrong with any of your posts.  I'm far from being overly sensitive LOL!  About to go referee a first round HS football playoff game, being the Side Judge I'm sure i'll get an ear full tonight though.  Tomorrow morning I  tee off in 43 degree weather at 8 AM tomorrow for 18 holes.  

• Like 1