Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Jonathan

Scorecard ruling?

Question

Guest Jonathan

I’m the official score keeper for a 7-8 year old coach pitch team. This play didn’t affect the outcome of the game, I just want to make sure I get it right. Batter hits the ball to shallow LC, gets waved around for a double, and makes it safely. When the batter arrived at second, another runner had held up at second and did not advance (I don’t know why not, it’s coach pitch). The batter had to retreat back to first, both runners safe and eventually scored. My question is, does the batter get credit for a double since a reached safely, but had to retreat afterwards?

1 answer to this question

38 minutes ago, Guest Jonathan said:

I’m the official score keeper for a 7-8 year old coach pitch team. This play didn’t affect the outcome of the game, I just want to make sure I get it right. Batter hits the ball to shallow LC, gets waved around for a double, and makes it safely. When the batter arrived at second, another runner had held up at second and did not advance (I don’t know why not, it’s coach pitch). The batter had to retreat back to first, both runners safe and eventually scored. My question is, does the batter get credit for a double since a reached safely, but had to retreat afterwards?

No, it's a single.

He was not entitled to second base, so he could not have reached it safely - ie. if while both the runner and the batter/runner were standing on the base they were both tagged the batter/runner would be out.

In more simplistic terms...at the end of the play, when the next batter is at the plate and ready to take a pitch, if the previous batter is on first base he can't have anything more than a single.  The scoring rule says if the batter "stops" at second base it's a double...he didn't stop there, he stopped at first - he went as far as second, but he stopped (ie. ended the play) at first.

It sucks, but there's not other way to score it - doesn't matter the level - base running errors can impact the batter's stats.  I once had to turn a rock solid line drive base hit into the gap into a fielder's choice because the runner on first (and this was U18 club ball) had a brain fart and ended up being forced out at second.

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this