Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
Guest Robert

RHP Pickoff to 3B

Question

Guest Robert

This weekend a balk was called and runner on third base scores on a RHP when he held up his left leg for about 3 seconds.  He did not sway toward home plate, nor did his foot left foot cross over his right leg.  He as standing like a stork when the balk was called.  When the umpire was asked why he called the balk he stated "A RHP is not allow to pause with his leg up, they have to make one fluid motion toward 3rd or home".  

I thought a RHP could do the same thing to 3rd base that a LHP can do toward 1B.  The umpire told us NO. 

Can someone please tell me the rule, rather or not a RHP can pause with his left leg up before either going home or picking to 3rd base. 

Thank you

Robert

7 answers to this question

A left handed pitcher can't do that to first either. A pick off or pitch must be one continuous motion. This is a start/stop balk.

• Like 1

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

From the 2013 Wendelstedt Rules and Interpretations Manual (section 6.3, p. 102):

It is a balk if…The pitcher, while touching the plate, makes a motion naturally associated with his pitch, and fails to complete his delivery…

The pitcher suspends his foot in the air (he stopped his delivery) in an attempt to hold a runner.

Play 132:  R1, no outs, no count. The left-handed pitcher, after coming stopped in the set position, raises his non-pivot foot off the ground and suspends it in the air, freezing R1. He then steps and throws to first base in an attempt to pick-off R1. Ruling:  This is a balk.

From the 2017 Jaksa/Roder The Rules of Professional Baseball (chapter 18, p. 144):

It is a balk if…A pitcher who is in-contact…hesitates in or interrupts his motion to join hands, pitch, throw, or disengage.

Example:  R1. A left-handed pitcher lifts his free foot and suspends it, unmoving, for a split second before proceeding in his motion to throw:  hesitation, balk.

• Like 1

Guest Robert

Thank you all very much great info to have.  I would rather have the correct information to give the players than be correct myself. 

On 10/29/2018 at 12:01 PM, Guest MarkF said:

Call was correct, explanation was wrong. JSam explains it correctly.

I would say the explanation wasnt wrong by the umpire. But it was done so in to many words. Simply explaining it as JSam did is much easier and shorter.

14 hours ago, BT_Blue said:

I would say the explanation wasnt wrong by the umpire. But it was done so in to many words. Simply explaining it as JSam did is much easier and shorter.

The explanation was wrong because the umpire said "A RHP can't . . "

• Thanks 1

On ‎10‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 1:53 PM, Senor Azul said:

From the 2013 Wendelstedt Rules and Interpretations Manual (section 6.3, p. 102):

It is a balk if…The pitcher, while touching the plate, makes a motion naturally associated with his pitch, and fails to complete his delivery…

The pitcher suspends his foot in the air (he stopped his delivery) in an attempt to hold a runner.

Play 132:  R1, no outs, no count. The left-handed pitcher, after coming stopped in the set position, raises his non-pivot foot off the ground and suspends it in the air, freezing R1. He then steps and throws to first base in an attempt to pick-off R1. Ruling:  This is a balk.

From the 2017 Jaksa/Roder The Rules of Professional Baseball (chapter 18, p. 144):

It is a balk if…A pitcher who is in-contact…hesitates in or interrupts his motion to join hands, pitch, throw, or disengage.

Example:  R1. A left-handed pitcher lifts his free foot and suspends it, unmoving, for a split second before proceeding in his motion to throw:  hesitation, balk.

interesting part of this is the "hesitation or interruption of joining hands in setting position".  This happens pretty often but rarely have I seen it enforced.  

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.