Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
Jimurray

2019 Rulebook is now on Arbiter

But I have a little semantic problem with this POE and it's not the baserunner spelling:

"BASERUNNERS' RESPONSIBILITIES

The baserunner is arguably one of the most important roles in baseball. Without him/her there can be no scoring. However, the baserunner has tremendous responsibilities. Beside Definitions, Baserunning is the second largest rule in the NFHS Rule book. The Baseball Rules Committee wants to emphasize that the advancing baserunner has to touch the bases in the correct order (including awarded bases), he/she should not miss any base or leave a base too early, but if that occurs, he/she must return to touch the base immediately. In addition, the committee wants to point out that if the baserunner runs more than three feet away from a direct line between bases to avoid a tag or to hinder the defensive player he/she will be declared out. They must slide in a direct line between the bases. When he/she elects to slide (by rule he/she does not have to slide) it must be legal. The baserunner cannot cause illegal contact and/or illegally alter the actions of the defensive player in the immediate act of making a play or on a force play. Jumping, hurdling and leaping are all legal attempts to avoid the fielder as long as the fielder is lying on the ground. Diving over a fielder is illegal. Attention to the intricacies of base running will enhance better rule knowledge and compliance, elevate fair play and promote risk minimization."

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
On 10/25/2018 at 12:09 PM, Jimurray said:

In addition, the committee wants to point out that if the baserunner runs more than three feet away from a direct line between bases to avoid a tag or to hinder the defensive player he/she will be declared out. 

This is a troublesome statement. 

The first part contradicts current rule and interpretation regarding the runner's basepath (which he/she determines).

The second part is just wrong.  Seems to imply that a runner can hinder a fielder as long as they don't deviate more that three feet.

Ugh!

17 hours ago, rzanew said:

The first part contradicts current rule and interpretation regarding the runner's basepath (which he/she determines).

The second part is just wrong.  Seems to imply that a runner can hinder a fielder as long as they don't deviate more that three feet.

Ugh!

I don't get that from the paragraph at all........   :HS

On ‎10‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 9:03 AM, Thunderheads said:

I can see where using just that sentence you could infer that it would be legal inside the 3'.

On 10/30/2018 at 9:03 AM, Thunderheads said:

Read it this way:

In addition, the committee wants to point out that if the baserunner runs more than three feet away from a direct line between bases to avoid a tag or to hinder the defensive player he/she will be declared out.

If A, then B

The contranegative is "Running not more than 3 ft of a direct line between the bases to hinder the defensive player, he/she will not be called out."

If not A then not B.

Q.E.D.  :Facepalm:

On 10/29/2018 at 4:10 PM, rzanew said:

Ugh!

On 10/29/2018 at 4:10 PM, rzanew said:

Note it doesn't say Fielder, as in the defensive player in the act of fielding the ball. It only says defensive player. 

Maybe what they're trying to get at is a runner who deliberately runs 3 feet out of his basepath to try and draw an obstruction? Like while in a rundown?? 

I know I'm grasping at straws....What bothers me the most, is the lack of the word "basepath"..instead it says.........

direct line between the bases.

9 hours ago, rzanew said:

Read it this way:

If A, then B

The contranegative is "Running not more than 3 ft of a direct line between the bases to hinder the defensive player, he/she will not be called out."

If not A then not B.

ok, well, now you have me confused! LOL.   I just read the OP post and still don't get it, but oh well.  I try not to read these things in too much break-down detail because you will, eventually, confuse yourself

10 hours ago, rzanew said:

Read it this way:

If A, then B

If not A then not B.

Assuming "If A then B" is true does not does NOT mean "If NOT A then NOT B" is also true.

The only conclusion you can draw from the assumption is "If NOT B then NOT A."

I was talking to a friend of mine and an UE member and he summed up this POE perfectly. 

"You know how much this will influence/change  the way I umpire a high school game next year?? .......ZERO". 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/2/2018 at 12:42 AM, Richvee said:

I was talking to a friend of mine and an UE member and he summed up this POE perfectly. 

"You know how much this will influence/change  the way I umpire a high school game next year?? .......ZERO". 

Hmmmm..... that conversation sounds familiar.

• Haha 2