Epic Sports.com. Ever had any issues?

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1996 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

So I googled "used umpire gear" today.  I was trying to see if there were any Riddell or All-American chest protectors out there.  I came across a web site called epicsports.com. Some of the prices on that site seem to good to be true.  Even for used equipment.  I don't recall any of you all mentioning this site.  So I'm thinking it might be a rip off.  Does anyone have experience with this site?   If it's legit, you all better not buy the stuff out from under me.    

I have bought from them and never had a problem. You should note that they don’t stock a lot and most stuff is drop shipped from the manufacturer. If you return something there is a significant restocking fee. I have never bought any thing used from them. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, boyinr said:

I have bought from them and never had a problem. You should note that they don’t stock a lot and most stuff is drop shipped from the manufacturer. If you return something there is a significant restocking fee. I have never bought any thing used from them. 

Agree with this.  Epic is setup to be used as a "buy in bulk" store for teams and associations versus an individual.  You can buy items for yourself, but there is no such thing as free shipping.  If you're only ordering a CP for example, after you pay their shipping costs then you'll be right around the price of other sites who ship for free at that cost (over $99). 

If you're in a hurry, I'd pass on Epic.  They ship 2 day express, but it may take 5-8 business days before they ship (so 10 business days before you get it).  The reason is due to what @boyinr stated, they order directly from the manufacturer who then ships the items to you.  So you have to get the order processed through Epic, then again through the manufacturer/warehouse themselves.

In my humble opinion, unless you're (A) not in a hurry and/or (B) ordering a lot of equipment - then my suggestion would be to use an existing store that stocks everything and gets it to you quickly (and offers free returns) like Ump-Attire instead.

Edit: I should add I'm in Ohio and can get stuff within 2 days from Purchase Officials.  The problem is they don't carry everything I like, so I use a variety of places.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, wolfe_man said:

You can buy items for yourself, but there is no such thing as free shipping.  If you're only ordering a CP for example, after you pay their shipping costs then you'll be right around the price of other sites who ship for free at that cost (over $99). 

Good point!  I hadn't made it that far yet.  I knew there had to be some reason the prices were so much cheaper.  

35 minutes ago, redroofwoodworker said:

Good point!  I hadn't made it that far yet.  I knew there had to be some reason the prices were so much cheaper.  

There are exceptions of course, but I'm speaking more as a rule.   Some of their prices make it worth it - even with the shipping.

1 hour ago, wolfe_man said:

There are exceptions of course, but I'm speaking more as a rule.   Some of their prices make it worth it - even with the shipping.

Agreed, especially for guys just getting into umpiring sub-HS, they can grab some Diamond Lite SGs, a Champro pro-plus CP, and a Champro mask for ~$110 with shipping, then I just have them grab replacement mask pads and their uniform from UmpAttire, which makes everything  ~$275 when its all said and done. Every guy I've recommended this to hasn't had any issues with EpicSports as far as I'm aware. Ironically, a few (myself included) have had more issues with UmpAttire forgetting to put stuff in the box when they ship it. ;)

BR

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just for SH*#s-and-giggles, I went to look to see what they had.

Price checked the System7. Which it said was as low as around $60 (that turned out to be the insert. The CP was still $150). Then I looked at the Champion P2xx. That was a full $20 more than what Ump-attire has it for. Plus i can for sure reach free shipping and of course free returns.

8 hours ago, BT_Blue said:

Just for SH*#s-and-giggles, I went to look to see what they had.

Price checked the System7. Which it said was as low as around $60 (that turned out to be the insert. The CP was still $150). Then I looked at the Champion P2xx. That was a full $20 more than what Ump-attire has it for. Plus i can for sure reach free shipping and of course free returns.

They're kind of like Amazon for sports crap: some of it's too good to be true deals, some of it's retail value, the rest is way overpriced.

• Like 1

Seems like I've ordered from there twice and had no issues. Items arrived in a timely manner. I order from UA 90% of time because their customer service/shipping/return policy are all top notch. I think Epic had something overstocked and was selling for a really low price and another time they had something I wanted to try that UA didn't carry. I would order from Epic again for a good price.

I've ordered from there numerous times....NEVER an issue...as stated shipping times are not short so don't be looking to get something quickly...but yes certain things ARE clearly cheaper from there....you have to price check the stuff between the "established" places before pulling the trigger though...because not *everything* is cheaper there. 

• Like 1