Unusual activity warning

Rich Ives
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1897 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

44 minutes ago, Rich Ives said:

I'm don't know what your site guardian thinks is the unusual activity from my IPO address but my browser says your site is not secure.

I've run into the same issue was well. I only log on through my mobile phone web app (Android). When I click the "I'm not a robot" box, it just sits there and tries to connect.

I usually just close the page and reopen it in a new one. 

4 minutes ago, Umpire in Chief said:

Question...

The 2 screenshots I've seen of this come from cell phones/mobile devices. Are you getting this from PCs/Laptops too?

I haven't been able to recreate this yet.

Thanks

I log on solely via my mobile phone to the direct site. It seems to happen most when I post a YouTube video. Then try and return to the main forum page immediately after. 

On 10/22/2018 at 11:44 AM, Umpire in Chief said:

Question...

The 2 screenshots I've seen of this come from cell phones/mobile devices. Are you getting this from PCs/Laptops too?

Thanks

Yes. I log on exclusively from non-mobile devices. I get the errors only (a) on weekends, and (b) when I'm using my VPN.

During the week or turning off the VPN, I do not get "Captcha'ed".

Correction: I'm now Captcha'ed any time I connect while using VPN.

1 hour ago, maven said:

Yes. I log on exclusively from non-mobile devices. I get the errors only (a) on weekends, and (b) when I'm using my VPN.

During the week or turning off the VPN, I do not get "Captcha'ed".

The VPN makes sense, because the website will see you logging in from geographically impossible/improbable locations over subsequent logins...in simplistic terms that elevates their risk (or yours), and depending on their automated settings this may come up as a false positive.

On 10/22/2018 at 11:44 AM, Umpire in Chief said:

Question...

Thanks

Mine is on my laptop - ethernet connected. Don't remember the times. Not using VPN

4 hours ago, Rich Ives said:

Mine is on my laptop - ethernet connected. Don't remember the times. Not using VPN

The IP address above is on a spam blacklist - the daddy of them all, Spamhaus - this is quite common with DSL providers.  Wouldn't be surprised if yours was in the same boat.

I'm guessing the web provider for this message board has added some condition checking to flag higher risk devices, and those are getting the captcha.   Blacklisted IP's would qualify.  VPN's would qualify as they either mask IP's...or show various random IP's all over the world.

Yes, my job/career is cybersecurity.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, beerguy55 said:

The IP address above is on a spam blacklist - the daddy of them all, Spamhaus - this is quite common with DSL providers.  Wouldn't be surprised if yours was in the same boat.

I'm guessing the web provider for this message board has added some condition checking to flag higher risk devices, and those are getting the captcha.   Blacklisted IP's would qualify.  VPN's would qualify as they either mask IP's...or show various random IP's all over the world.

Yes, my job/career is cybersecurity.

Cable provider - not DSL.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Umpire in Chief said:

Update: I'm working on resolving this through my host.

Question: Do you get this at times other than doing things with YouTube?

I use a chromebook and don't receive what has been posted.  Your site, however does come up as Not secure.

4 hours ago, Umpire in Chief said:

Update: I'm working on resolving this through my host.

Question: Do you get this at times other than doing things with YouTube?

I believe it only happened to me when posting a YouTube clip. But since I haven't done such I'm a bit, I haven't been kicked off as of late. 

1 hour ago, umpstu said:

I use a chromebook and don't receive what has been posted.  Your site, however does come up as Not secure.

I keep meaning to ask about this. If your host offers Cpanel, you can get a free SSL cert. Not being secure will hurt your performance in Google, although it's not like there is a huge amount of competition out there. 

Personally, I appreciate the security. Keeps it from feeling like somebody is reading over my shoulder. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hello Rich!  I came over from the "other" site because THAT site kept firing off my virus warning, and I have not been able to get into the forums any more.  (Is that site still working?)

I wonder if meta-data from other members has been contaminated by viruses, and their legitimate uses of the umpire sites has proliferated it.

I don't know if it's computer/browser combination that is vulnerable.  (E.g., I have a Mac with Safari, and it does not work on the old site, as it constantly gets blacklisted.)

Anyway, Happy New Year!  Good to see you!

Mike

Las Vegas, NV