Home-away uniform.

Jimurray
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2004 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

From an article titled Breaking down MLB's jersey name game, written by Paul Lukas for ESPN on 4/26/17:

Notes: The Brew Crew has had a split personality when it comes to Name at home, city on road (NAH-COR). They've always worn their team name at home, but on the road they've had three major eras: "Brewers" from 1970-77, "Milwaukee" from 1978-99, and "Brewers" from 2000 to the present.

Should they go NAH-COR? Yup. The Brewers currently have a navy "Milwaukee" jersey in their wardrobe, so why not put that script on the road grays?

Here’s a link to the full article listing all the teams who do not follow the league protocol.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/19249734/examining-teams-buck-mlb-home-road-uniform-trend

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Senor Azul said:

From an article titled Breaking down MLB's jersey name game, written by Paul Lukas for ESPN on 4/26/17:

Notes: The Brew Crew has had a split personality when it comes to Name at home, city on road (NAH-COR). They've always worn their team name at home, but on the road they've had three major eras: "Brewers" from 1970-77, "Milwaukee" from 1978-99, and "Brewers" from 2000 to the present.

Should they go NAH-COR? Yup. The Brewers currently have a navy "Milwaukee" jersey in their wardrobe, so why not put that script on the road grays?

Here’s a link to the full article listing all the teams who do not follow the league protocol.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/19249734/examining-teams-buck-mlb-home-road-uniform-trend

So is it just protocall as to the grey or white or the wtf color is that as far as H or V go? Not a big deal other than my curiosity. Us amateurs have no problem with discerning two teams with, in the worst case, the logo only. 

From the book The Official Rules of Baseball Illustrated by David Nemec (2006 edition, p. 12):

“Another long-standing custom that for many years was not formalized into a rule was for a team to possess two different uniforms, one to wear at home and the other while on the road. This practice first became an actual rule in 1904. Prior to then it had been customary since the early 1880s for the home team to dress in white and the visitors in gray or some other darker hue. Not until 1911 did it become mandatory, however, for the home team to wear white uniforms and the visitors dark uniforms as a way for fans, players, and umpires alike to distinguish the players on one club from the other more easily…”

Here’s the current (2018) OBR rule 3.03 (old rule 1-11b-2):

Player Uniforms

(d) A league may provide that each team shall wear a distinctive uniform at all times, or that each team shall have two sets of uniforms, white for home games and a different color for road games.

15 hours ago, Senor Azul said:

From the book The Official Rules of Baseball Illustrated by David Nemec (2006 edition, p. 12):

Player Uniforms

(d) A league may provide that each team shall wear a distinctive uniform at all times, or that each team shall have two sets of uniforms, white for home games and a different color for road games.

When's the last time you saw that enforced.

N O B O D Y    C A R E S

I know this isn't quite the same thing, but I've had this happen more than I care to say in NFHS games...........Since I have umpired in some very rural and low income areas, a few members of team ( usually JV pull ups) will be wearing the hand me down old varsity uniforms. They often are in differing shades of a color or diff script..... 

An opposing  coach will complain about them not being "uniform" and want them excluded from playing in the game.  That's an OBR rule coach, not an NFHS rule.....NFHS say a team "should" be same color and style......Not must....and your team is wearing red and white....and they are wearing black and gold.....whats the issue? 

And I have let the Head Coach / Biology Teacher coach an NFHS game in his shirt and tie versus full baseball uniform.   

Mr. Rich Ives, a careful re-reading of the posts in this thread shows that no one is advocating that any rule be enforced. Besides, how does one enforce a rule that starts out with, “A league MAY provide”?

And, not surprisingly, it is obvious that you did not read the article I linked for your reading pleasure. If you had actually read it you would have seen the following—

“Of course, the MLB uni-verse is no longer strictly a matter of white and gray, because most teams now have at least one alternate jersey. But white and gray are still the public face of most teams' uniform programs.”

All 30 major league teams actually do have a traditional white and a traditional gray jersey in their wardrobe. That not only satisfies the “rule” but also baseball tradition. Nowadays, most teams have many more than just one alternate uniform. For example, my Oakland A’s in 2017 wore 16 different uniform combinations--https://uniformlineup.com/oakland/2017-oakland/#17oakland

And, Mr Jimurray, here’s another great resource about MLB uniforms--

Dressed to the Nines—A History of the Baseball Uniform--http://exhibits.baseballhalloffame.org/dressed_to_the_nines/database.htm

44 minutes ago, Senor Azul said:

Mr. Rich Ives, a careful re-reading of the posts in this thread shows that no one is advocating that any rule be enforced. Besides, how does one enforce a rule that starts out with, “A league MAY provide”?

And, not surprisingly, it is obvious that you did not read the article I linked for your reading pleasure. If you had actually read it you would have seen the following—

“Of course, the MLB uni-verse is no longer strictly a matter of white and gray, because most teams now have at least one alternate jersey. But white and gray are still the public face of most teams' uniform programs.”

All 30 major league teams actually do have a traditional white and a traditional gray jersey in their wardrobe. That not only satisfies the “rule” but also baseball tradition. Nowadays, most teams have many more than just one alternate uniform. For example, my Oakland A’s in 2017 wore 16 different uniform combinations--https://uniformlineup.com/oakland/2017-oakland/#17oakland

Dressed to the Nines—A History of the Baseball Uniform--http://exhibits.baseballhalloffame.org/dressed_to_the_nines/database.htm

I appreciate all your research into the matter. And while a curmudgeon is of the opinion that nobody cares about the rule I do know that it was newsworthy when a player had the wrong jersey quite a few years ago, not that it was a rule violation. 

On 10/22/2018 at 3:27 AM, Senor Azul said:

If it doesn't matter why even discuss it?  Why even bring it up in the first place?