New New Balance Shoes?

JSam21
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2005 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

@JimKirk I remember you guys posting about meeting with New Balance awhile back talking about new shoes... is there anything you could let us know about those? After 4 seasons and a level advancement it is time for new base shoes and I wanted to wait to pull the trigger if they have something new coming out.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, JSam21 said:

@JimKirk I remember you guys posting about meeting with New Balance awhile back talking about new shoes... is there anything you could let us know about those? After 4 seasons and a level advancement it is time for new base shoes and I wanted to wait to pull the trigger if they have something new coming out.

Ditto here (sans the level advancement). I need new base shoes as the old 950s just dont cut it. 

On 10/17/2018 at 12:41 PM, JSam21 said:

Thanks for the question.

NB has been on an update cycle of every 3 years for base shoes and for plate shoes. If that stays on track, that would put new base shoes in late 2019.

We were fortunate enough to see an early design of a future concept base shoe recently, upon which we were able to give our input.

Below are the details on the specs I can share at this time:

:wink:

2 hours ago, JimKirk said:

Thanks for the question.

NB has been on an update cycle of every 3 years for base shoes and for plate shoes. If that stays on track, that would put new base shoes in late 2019.

We were fortunate enough to see an early design of a future concept base shoe recently, upon which we were able to give our input.

Those sound cool.

• Like 1

Hopefully you've recommended the return of leather and steal toes. Oh wait, that would be returning to the 450's (like I'm seeing on some MLB guys). 

Now we have all plastic, no class, and less protection. I do enjoy the light weight, but we all know they don't protect the same. I'd like +POS style, with athletic ability. Is that too much to ask? 

4 hours ago, JimKirk said:

Thanks for the question.

Sounds like the lightest shoe they have ever made.

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, BT_Blue said:

You are a very cruel human being! Lol

Just having some fun with you guys. I like your excitement for what’s next.

In all seriousness, it is VERY early in the process of NB’s next base shoe. If I WAS at liberty to share the details of the concept we saw, it may end up quite different in the end.

If anyone wants to share any additional input on base shoes for NB, you have our ear and they have ours.

I will say the designers at NB are super sharp, eager for input and committed to making the best umpire shoes.

@JimKirk, my first request would be for a selection in 4E. There are not enough shoes for us wide feet people. Second would be a shoe that is made to be a bit more rigid. A lot of us have issues with our free, being on then for hours on end during a game. And NB already does shoes with "Roll Bar" technology and the like. And lastly, would be both a warm weather and a cold/wet weather shoe option. 

7 hours ago, BT_Blue said:

@JimKirk, my first request would be for a selection in 4E. There are not enough shoes for us wide feet people. Second would be a shoe that is made to be a bit more rigid. A lot of us have issues with our free, being on then for hours on end during a game. And NB already does shoes with "Roll Bar" technology and the like. And lastly, would be both a warm weather and a cold/wet weather shoe option. 

I have never had an issue getting NBs in 4E.

As many people loved the Reeboks, the biggest gripe I seem to recall is that they were too narrow for folks with wide feet.

• Like 1

Based on the reviews on UA I must be in the minority here, but I wear the 950s and I find them uncomfortable. They are light but I find them to be lacking in the cushion department. My feet are always sore after wearing them. Maybe it's just me but they don't feel as comfortable as NB's other running/training shoes. So that would be my suggestion. 

I'll give the new models a look when they come out, but in the mean time I'm looking for some black running shoes to wear on the bases. I'm done with the 950s.

• Like 1

On 10/21/2018 at 9:18 AM, conbo61 said:

I have never had an issue getting NBs in 4E.

As many people loved the Reeboks, the biggest gripe I seem to recall is that they were too narrow for folks with wide feet.

The zigs were narrow for people without wide feet.