Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
Sign in to follow this  
stkjock

You Make The Call

Friend sent me this video of a play at the plate his son's team was involved in. 16U under Fed as I understand it.

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
4 hours ago, stkjock said:

Friend sent me this video of a play at the plate his son's team was involved in. 16U under Fed as I understand it.

Do you have a question? I can't tell what PU called: it appears he signaled safe, then time, then wandered out to BU after words with the coach.

Pretty obviously OBS, but the mechanics (other than setting up at 3BLX) need some work.

The question is the call at the plate. 

I didn’t thnk obvious OBS as F2 is in the act of fielding the ball when taken into the base path and he is in possession of the ball prior to R3 reaching him.  In real time, bang - bang play and hard to fault a call either way IMO. 

46 minutes ago, stkjock said:

I didn’t thnk obvious OBS as F2 is in the act of fielding the ball when taken into the base path and he is in possession of the ball prior to R3 reaching him.  In real time, bang - bang play and hard to fault a call either way IMO. 

#1- There is no "in the act of fielding" in FED.

I've got OBS all day. F2 set up right in the path and was waiting there for the ball to arrive.

• Like 1

2008 NFHS Baseball Rules Interpretations SITUATION 13: Without the ball in possession, the catcher sets up in the base path, but does allow access to part of home plate. As the ball and the runner converge at home simultaneously, the runner contacts the catcher. RULING: As long as the umpire judges that the catcher provided access to the plate for the runner, this is not obstruction. With the play in motion and the timing such that it is about to occur, a fielder may be in the base path without the ball, provided he allows the runner access to the base or home plate. (2-22-3)

2018 FED Case Book Play 8.3.2 Situation C:  F2 is in the path between third base and home plate while waiting to receive a thrown ball. R3 advances from third and runs into the catcher, after which R3 is tagged out. Ruling:  Obstruction. F2 cannot be in the base path without the ball in his possession, nor can he be in the base path waiting for a ball to arrive without giving the runner some access to home plate.

The other thing that I didn't like was PU allowing DHC to shop for a call with his partner. If the call was safe/obstruction, I can't see a reason to confer with his partner.

That said, it is an uncommon play/call. If he went out to take a second to collect his thought, confirm what he had, then that wouldn't be the worst thing to happen. And the conference and subsequent discussion with DHC didn't take too long.  

On 10/15/2018 at 6:58 PM, stkjock said:

F2 is "technically" in possession of the ball prior to R3 getting there - if by "getting there" you mean the instant they collide.   However, R3 has started sliding, and is attempting to get to a plate to which he has no access, well before F2 has the ball.

Under FED, I have obstruction all day, every day, and twice on Sunday.

7 minutes ago, lawump said:

Under FED, I have obstruction all day, every day, and twice on Sunday.

You might have OBS in NCAA this next year also. And, I'm thinking it might be OBS in OBR also depending on whether you judge a legitimate reaction to the hop.

• Like 2

Obstruction. The catcher was not fielding the ball when he did not provide access to the runner from 3rd base to reach home. Only after the catcher possesses the ball may he block the base from the runner. R3 scores on this play.