Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Allen

giving count

Question

4 answers to this question

It depends. I'll give the count sometimes after a foul ball before putting the ball back in play. Maybe after several pickoff attempts, or SB or WP. If action is continuous I'll rarely give it. But I think I know what you're getting at

I'm guessing you're asking about the timing of giving the count between pitches?  This is a pet peeve of mine, very common with untrained umpires. A pitcher will be on the rubber, just about ready to go into his motion and PU will bellow "TWO BALLS ONE STRIKE!!!!!"... Causing the pitcher to flinch, or the batter to duck from being startled.

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

Without anything happening which would distract the players such as a pick off attempt, steal, an out being recorded somewhere... Normally I give the count with a 1-2 or 2-1, then 3-2... After several foul balls I'll give the count... anytime a player asks, I'll tell them the count, but then I assume the rest have forgotten as well and may announce the count.

I love it after one pitch when the batter asks... like really?  You took one pitch :clap:

• Like 1

I give the count after something funky happens, when the scoreboard is wrong, or when I'm asked.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this