A Plea to Modernize Uniforms at the Amatuer Level

grk17
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1969 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

On 10/29/2018 at 6:06 PM, kylejt said:

So, you pay to be in the association run by fools, and they require you to buy different gear year after year.

But, there's so many umpires out there willing to take your place, you don't dare to stand up and say anything. Or, worse, just don't bother with their dopey mandates. 

Oh wait, you mean there aren't that many umpires out there? Never mind. 

Are you referring to my post directly above yours? If so, I think you misunderstand what I said.

The state patches that are issued every season are loose and come with the state packet that comes from paying association dues. They include the rule and case book. As well as the Referee/NASO NFHS preseason guide.

You simply attach Bobby pins or even better, magnets, to the back of the patch... and away you go.

They actually tell us not to sew or attach the patches to our shirts cause they give new ones every year and that the patches should only be used for state sanctioned games.

13 hours ago, BT_Blue said:

Are you referring to my post directly above yours? If so, I think you misunderstand what I said.

The state patches that are issued every season are loose and come with the state packet that comes from paying association dues. They include the rule and case book. As well as the Referee/NASO NFHS preseason guide.

You simply attach Bobby pins or even better, magnets, to the back of the patch... and away you go.

They actually tell us not to sew or attach the patches to our shirts cause they give new ones every year and that the patches should only be used for state sanctioned games.

That is what I do. I have MD and DC patches on magnets, so I attach an MD patch to my shirt when doing a public school game in Maryland, and a DC patch when in DC for a high school game. 

Why exactly do OH users say that the OHSAA has arcane uniform requirements? AFAIK, navy is pretty common for high school baseball uniforms (MD umpires wear navy in the playoffs, VA has navy and powder blue as options, umpires wear special shirts with embroidered VHSL logos on the chest, and flags on the left sleeve). 

On 10/31/2018 at 12:13 AM, BT_Blue said:

Magnets?!?! In almost 20 years of doing this I have never heard of using magnets.  How does that work?  It has to be some kind of flat, flexible magnet. What do you put on the inside of the shirt for the magnet to stick too?  Does anyone have pics?  

1 hour ago, redroofwoodworker said:

Magnets?!?! In almost 20 years of doing this I have never heard of using magnets.  How does that work?  It has to be some kind of flat, flexible magnet. What do you put on the inside of the shirt for the magnet to stick too?  Does anyone have pics?  

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001O20V8E/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2 hours ago, redroofwoodworker said:

I always glue a thin piece of cardboard to the back of my patches, like from a cereal box, and then glue on the magnets.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, umpstu said:

I always glue a thin piece of cardboard to the back of my patches, like from a cereal box, and then glue on the magnets.

Good point! If you dont take this extra step, the patch will curl up and there is nothing.... NOTHING!!!... you can do to get it back to straight.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, kylehutson said:

My mind is blown!!  I didn't know this product existed, even for name badges.  I just took the patch off of my Basketball Referee shirt because I worked a non-sanctioned JH tournament.  That leaves all the little holes on your sleeve.  Of course, I have to sew it back on now.  Now I can have the same shirts for summer Baseball and High school ball.  I can't believe I'm so excited about this, lol.  This feels like a game changer.  Thanks guys!!

1 hour ago, umpstu said:

Great Idea!  Do you bend it a little so it forms to your arm?  Do the magnets weigh down the sleeve?  I was thinking it might look funny when your running or be a bit heavy on your one arm.  

6 hours ago, redroofwoodworker said:

We found the Insane Clown Posse fan!

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, redroofwoodworker said:

Great Idea!  Do you bend it a little so it forms to your arm?  Do the magnets weigh down the sleeve?  I was thinking it might look funny when your running or be a bit heavy on your one arm.  

CIF has a patch that goes on your breast pocket on the shirt.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/1/2018 at 12:47 PM, kylehutson said:

These magnets are outstanding. I have forgotten and washed my shirts with the magnet still on and they never came off or moved. I recommend using 2 magnts.

• Like 1

On 11/25/2018 at 11:58 AM, UMP45 said:

These magnets are outstanding. I have forgotten and washed my shirts with the magnet still on and they never came off or moved. I recommend using 2 magnts.

The ones I wore actually had a warning on them to not get them close to a pacemaker!

On 11/1/2018 at 3:54 PM, redroofwoodworker said:

It's useful and I do it for Legion patches but I'm really not a fan for all the reasons listed. I guess from the stands you can't really tell but on the field it is a sloppy look imo. But we all do it for Legion games around here. I wish we'd bag the patches and just go with the logo on hats. I don't mind buying a $20 hat for a legion season. I have heard some of our D2 college assignors here are pushing for this as well. 

I don't normally do this, but I just had to weigh in on the subject of patches. I guess I'm in a  particularly venomous mood today! :angry: Disclaimer: This rant is in no way directed any anyone in particular, just my general opinion.

:ranton:

I for the life of me can't understand the obsession with patches. We go round and round in my area at all levels about the patches, particularly at the HS level. Our HS association spends more time policing the patch requirement than anything else. We have members that haven't bought new uniforms since the 1990's it seems. I guess it's okay to have crappy looking uniforms but God forbid you show up looking sharp with creased pants and pressed shirts without their gaudy patch. Even if you have a logo on your hat, you still have to eff around with that ugly patch. You can go without the logo on your hat, but not your shirt. I don't get it. What in God's name is wrong with just the logo on your hat? I don't know, but apparently it's a mortal sin and subject to a fine if you don't have a patch on your shirt or jacket! A patch! You can show up with a filthy wrinkled ugly as heck navy shirt and as long as it has a patch on it, you're good to go!

Really, at the HS level and down, who gives a flying F&@# what association you work for? Does anybody care? Does the HS coach not know which association has been working their games for the past 30+ years? Is the LL coach really that concerned if the umpire(s) are volunteer or from an association? Will the travelball (or Daddyball) coach temper his distain for your calls because he knows which association you represent? Does the TD of a weekend tournament not know which association they hired to work their games? Do the spectators look at the patch and say, "Oh great, the "XYZ Association of Extremely Talented Umpires of the Divine Burning Embers of the Holy Strike Zone", are working our game. I will have absolutely no reason to complain about anything on the diamond today!" Said no one ever!

And branding and advertising doesn't matter either. It seems we waste so much time and energy on the patch. News flash. Nobody cares about the patch. Nobody cares what association we work for. Many of the umpire traditions and practices are stuck in the 1970's. The patch is a prime example. How about focusing on making sure your umpires look sharp, work hard, and try to get the calls right?

:rantoff:

• Like 6