Jump to content

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
stkjock

Angel having a tough night. BOS @ NYY

Recommended Posts

Three challenges at first. Two overturned on replay. Both very close 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
2 minutes ago, stkjock said:

Look again. .400

Wow.  Updated in real time and includes the post season.  I thought it was just regular season number.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

let me make sure I understand this .......... he's 4 out of 5 and not in a good way!  Ouch!

Isn't he the one suing MLB for not giving him post season assignments because of his ethnicity? Hmmmmmm :no: 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IIRC, 3 calls overturned of the 5 challenged

 

yes, he’s the one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What is the Over/Under on the number of times this will be brought up tomorrow when he has the plate in Game 4?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, BT_Blue said:

What is the Over/Under on the number of times this will be brought up tomorrow when he has the plate in Game 4?

47

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the interest of being fair, he has been pretty solid behind the dish tonight.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also in the interest of being fair... The first two of his three overturned calls I also got wrong in real-time. Those were real whackers. I don't feel too bad if you need to have cameras going frame-by-frame to be able to tell.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here are the umpires seen so far in the WC and DS with RAP's below 400 to start with. This is well known to Management prior to the assignments.

Dan Bellino...................385

Todd Tichenor...........357

Mark Wegner................294

Greg Gibson.................235

No umpire picks themselves for anything which starts with a full time job as a MLBU or playoff Assignments (Blake Cullen, Al Barlick, Tom Gorman, Ed Vargo, Augie Donatelli, Lee McPhail, Marty Springstead, Larry Knapp,  Jerry Neudeckor, Paul Runge, Rich Garcia,  Frank Pulli, Jim McKean picked for the senior umpires and those in the first decade of the 2000's, and more recently Randy Marsh and others on the MLB staff page).

And where are those top 10 misses video's of all time to go along with discussions of misses this time of year.

Always waiting for a rule that to post MLBU misses, the poster has to provide a the top 10 videos of their own worse umpiring misses, or if they were just a player, their 10 most Bill Bucknor fielding misses in their own careers.

I cannot even goad guys to admit to (things they or their coach did on purpose that they were just laughing at and agreed with) badgering umpires when they played or coached, prior to becoming umpires themselves. And, letting my mind run wild, I would imagine things like intentionally letting pitches go as catchers on purpose, all the way to cheap-shotting, vulgar language, intentional acts on the field, etc., etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think its very fair to judge umpires by how many of their calls that are challenged are upheld/overturned. Only calls presumed to be incorrect are challenged.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, bluejersey said:

I don't think its very fair to judge umpires by how many of their calls that are challenged are upheld/overturned. Only calls presumed to be incorrect are challenged.

Agree with this. I've always thought it would be great to see stats that included all the calls where a team held up the game so they could check the video and decided not to challenge because, although the play was close enough for the team to want to take a look at the video, it was the correct call. Every one of those situations represents a very close play that was umpired correctly.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Richvee said:

Agree with this. I've always thought it would be great to see stats that included all the calls where a team held up the game so they could check the video and decided not to challenge because, although the play was close enough for the team to want to take a look at the video, it was the correct call. Every one of those situations represents a very close play that was umpired correctly.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Absolutely Rv. Let's count those 'holds'/waits in the stats. Early, when they did keep them for a few months, it was adding 20-25 more points to the umpires overall scores. Would assume it is at least as much now. Much more controversy to keep it the way it is, and let the blasters have at it on the umps.

By the way for the Angel Haters and Papelbon lovers, is the catcher tonight 2errors 2pb, = 4, getting those same vile comments that Angel just received. What's good for the goose is good for the gander. Want to see the viciousness and plethora of comments on his performance plastered 10 gazillion times in the press. Oh, and did they bring in a cab or bus for his ride down to Arizona Instructional League since the great Paps says they are Sent down for being terrible or poor performance.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, dumbdumb said:

Absolutely Rv. Let's count those 'holds'/waits in the stats. Early, when they did keep them for a few months, it was adding 20-25 more points to the umpires overall scores. Would assume it is at least as much now. Much more controversy to keep it the way it is, and let the blasters have at it on the umps.

By the way for the Angel Haters and Papelbon lovers, is the catcher tonight 2errors 2pb, = 4, getting those same vile comments that Angel just received. What's good for the goose is good for the gander. Want to see the viciousness and plethora of comments on his performance plastered 10 gazillion times in the press. Oh, and did they bring in a cab or bus for his ride down to Arizona Instructional League since the great Paps says they are Sent down for being terrible or poor performance.

The double standard is out of control. Thursday morning. MLB radio Steve Phillips and CJ Nitkowski are talking about CC calling out Angel postgame for the "3 missed pitches", and how "terrible" he is....they're basically agreeing with him.  Then, they play Porcello's comment where he said "Just throw strikes on the white and there won't be any problems".....Well, Phillips and CJ go off, saying Porcello was "out of line" because we all knew he was referring to  CC's comments, and that's throwing a fellow player under the bus and that's wrong, Blah-blah-blah.:smachhead: 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×