Obstruction?

Guest Jon
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2024 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Hard one need help with. 

12U baseball OBR rules

Runner at third batter squares to bunt pitch is inside causing batter to fall down in the batters box. Ball goes to the backstop runner comes to score, catcher gets ball runs up to tag but batter is still in the box on the ground and catcher is blocked from the tag. What’s the call?

The batter was a bigger kid and was no intent to block on purpose

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

8 answers to this question

48 minutes ago, Senor Azul said:

There was a similar play discussed in the Collegiate forum started on February 26 of this year titled “New NAIA Brainshark Video.” It currently is found on page 2 of the forum if the following link does not work—

NAIA uses NCAA rules if if matters

Since everyone has chimed in with "probably nothing" (which I agree with). I feel the need to add a clerical note.

Since terminology matters in officiating, we can never have obstruction on a member of the offense. It will always be be interference. :2cents:

Here is the scenario from that Collegiate thread and the official answer from the NCAA. The language used by the NCAA is really close to OBR. While I agree with the sentiment that the batter should not be penalized in this scenario under OBR, I am afraid the NCAA ruling would be what OBR would rule.

Right hander in the box, with runner on first. Pitcher delivers an inside pitch that the batter has to avoid so it doesn't hit him. In doing so he gets off balance and steps over the plate where he hinders the catcher with his attempt to throw out R1 stealing. 

Full answer from NCAA:

"Rule 7-11-f states “A batter is out when the batter intentionally or unintentionally interferes with the catcher’s fielding or throwing by stepping out of the batter’s box or making any other movement that hinders a defensive player’s action at home plate.” 

“Even though the interference was unintentional, the batter is out for interfering with the catcher’s fielding or throwing.  There is no exception listed for trying to avoid a pitch and it was not the catcher’s fault that the batter chose to jump forward and step out of the batter’s box to try to avoid being hit.  Unfortunate and unintentional, but the batter is out unless the runner is retired."