Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
Sign in to follow this  
Tksjewelry

Did I get it right?

13u rec fall ball, obr, r1, r2, Br hits a low pop up over f4s head (no iff for this league). The grass is super long and everyone thinks the popup is caught, I see it hit the ground but r1 and br think its caught. R2 is headed home. Br never even crossed the plate to attempt to get to first just headed back to the dugout. I'm one manning the game and I'm watching for the catch, didn't realize the br never attempted and thought the kid on first was the br and r2 crossing the plate was r1 (yes, I lost a kid on the field and somehow forgot momentarily there even was an r2). Throw goes to second. I'm confused and then the throw goes to first and I signal safe because I think r1 (who never left first) is the br. Coach calls time and asks about why r1 is safe, it's a force but then informs me the br never attempted first. Yes, can't believe I totally lost kids but in my defense they were all blond short people who all looked alike.

So I had to think about this one. Yes, there was a force but since there was an abandonment before the catch wasn't made I deemed the force off for abandoning, br out for abandoning and r1 safe, r2 scores. Not even remotely sure that was even close to being right but the coaches got a good laugh out of it and an out so they were all happy in the end. So, was I right? 

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

From the 2017 Jaksa/Roder manual (pp. 50-51):

“By rule, a batter-runner cannot be out for abandoning before touching (or passing) first base. However, there may be instances wherein a batter-runner aborts an advance toward first base before touching (or passing) it. This is herein called desertion.

“… Note that abandonment does not remove the force against runners ahead of the abandoning runner; this stipulation prevents a runner from abandoning the basepaths, intentionally or otherwise, and removing the force against a runner ahead of him. (MLB Rule Interpretation 31)”

I do not know what MLB Interpretation 31 is or where to find it but it does make sense to me. I hope it does to you also. So, in your game the force out should have been called in addition to the batter being out--and if there was one out to start the play then the batter would be the third out and the run should not count.

I'm just curious why a 13u, 90' diamond game would be playing OBR and choose to omit the IFF. :HS

9 hours ago, Tksjewelry said:

13u rec fall ball, obr, r1, r2, Br hits a low pop up over f4s head (no iff for this league). The grass is super long and everyone thinks the popup is caught, I see it hit the ground but r1 and br think its caught.

Sounds like you need to sell the call more.

And, it's a double play.

27 minutes ago, Richvee said:

I'm just curious why a 13u, 90' diamond game would be playing OBR and choose to omit the IFF. :HS

.........AND A 2nd UMPIRE

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Richvee said:

I think it was not ordinary effort for that level of play. 'low popup over F4's head"

10 hours ago, Senor Azul said:

From the 2017 Jaksa/Roder manual (pp. 50-51):

“By rule, a batter-runner cannot be out for abandoning before touching (or passing) first base. However, there may be instances wherein a batter-runner aborts an advance toward first base before touching (or passing) it. This is herein called desertion.

“… Note that abandonment does not remove the force against runners ahead of the abandoning runner; this stipulation prevents a runner from abandoning the basepaths, intentionally or otherwise, and removing the force against a runner ahead of him. (MLB Rule Interpretation 31)”

I do not know what MLB Interpretation 31 is or where to find it but it does make sense to me. I hope it does to you also. So, in your game the force out should have been called in addition to the batter being out--and if there was one out to start the play then the batter would be the third out and the run should not count.

That's from the MLBUM, "Abandonment on a force Play", which was added in 2017, abandonment does not change a force play to a tag or time play on any other runners. The MLBUM should be the next addition to your library but wait for next season's to come out. It's only hard copy so you will have to put in a little more work to cite it when you post on a thread. But that work will be appreciated.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jimurray said:

I think it was not ordinary effort for that level of play. 'low popup over F4's head"

I read "no iff for this league"  in the OP as meaning there's no iff's in this league. Perhaps I read it wrong and it's just as you say-- the hit was judged to not warrant an IFF call.