Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
Sign in to follow this  
Gil

MLBUA Calls for BOC Action After Latest Umpire Abuse

The Major League Baseball Umpires Association called upon the MLB Office of the Commissioner to address several recent instances of personal attacks on officials in a move reminiscent of MLBUA's August 2017 wristband stance in protest of umpire abuse and verbal attacks similar to those before...

[[ This is a content summary only. Visit my website for full links, other content, and more! ]]

View the full article

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

I'm thinking that ejected players who throw a Bryce Harper type tantrum or take to social media like Gomez should be fined a portion of their salary, and divvied up at the end of season for an umpire Christmas bonus.  Compared to the salary that most umpires are at.................

The minimum salary for a major league baseball player or MLB player for the 2018 season is $545,000.  I'd assume that the majority are at least 2-3x that amount.

57 minutes ago, Aging_Arbiter said:

I'm thinking that ejected players who throw a Bryce Harper type tantrum or take to social media like Gomez should be fined a portion of their salary, and divvied up at the end of season for an umpire Christmas bonus.  Compared to the salary that most umpires are at.................

The minimum salary for a major league baseball player or MLB player for the 2018 season is $545,000.  I'd assume that the majority are at least 2-3x that amount.

I've always found it funny that the people paid the least to be on the field are the only ones expected to be perfect. 

(3) Discipline Imposed by the Chief Baseball Officer or Com-
missioner.

(c) The Chief Baseball Officer may choose to suspend a Player
without pay for: (i) intentionally throwing a baseball, equipment
or other object at a non-uniformed personnel with the intent of
causing bodily harm; (ii) physically assaulting a fan or member
of the media; (iii) physically assaulting an umpire in a manner

that endangers his health or safety; and (iv) making public state-
ments that question the integrity of the game, the umpires, the

Commissioner and/or other Commissioner’s Office personnel.
Suspensions without pay for such conduct shall be appealable
through the procedures of Article XI(B) in an expedited manner,
and the suspensions shall be stayed pending the completion of
those procedures.

HIT 'EM WHERE IT HURTS!!!

On 9/24/2018 at 7:51 AM, JSam21 said:

I've always found it funny that the people paid the least to be on the field are the only ones expected to be perfect. 

Yeah, I know...there is no room for error for the ball boy. 

It's a public perception problem - not just in baseball - in how umpires/refs/judges are disciplined...or not.  And mostly because the public doesn't always hear what goes on with umpire discipline.

Players who screw up enough get sent to minors, benched, cut.  Coaches who screw up enough get demoted, fired.  Officials who screw up enough...keep officiating.  As far as public knowledge is concerned.

Most people wonder how CB Bucknor keeps his job while other umps don't even get a shot.