Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
wolfe_man

Mizuno Shovel - SOLD!

I found a unicorn!  

I like it, but thought I'd give others on this site a chance as I've seen many of you looking for one over the years. 

In my view, this is rarer than a Nike Ti.  I can find a Nike Ti just about every day, but how long has it been since you've seen one of these become available for sale? 

Please IM me with an offer if you're interested.

Thanks!

Details:

• black Mizuno Shovel throat guard
  • does not have the original straps but they can be easily duplicated.

The straps on these are to be black nylon webbing (0.5" W x 5.5" L) which you can get from any craft store.  The straps connect via 2 silver 3/16" bolts & nuts from a hardware store.  I did a quick look and it'd cost less than $5 to make new (which I will shortly if I keep it).

IMG_3461.jpg

IMG_3462.jpg

IMG_3463.jpg

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

PM's responded to and still taking offers.  I'll probably only field offers today unless someone really "Wows!" me.  I want to make sure those who may not be on everyday have a chance to view also. 

Sorry, I don't mean to be rude or arrogant, but I'm trying to get the best offer I can.

Relating this to the discussion on 3-D printing one, before you ship it off, would you be willing to take more photos with a ruler and from several angles? I'd like to put together a 3-D model (even if materials are currently lacking) so we could at least have it for the future.

6 minutes ago, kylehutson said:

Relating this to the discussion on 3-D printing one, before you ship it off, would you be willing to take more photos with a ruler and from several angles? I'd like to put together a 3-D model (even if materials are currently lacking) so we could at least have it for the future.

Yes.  Several others with these (jwclubbie for example) have also agreed to do so if we ever got access to a 3D printer with the capability.

I'd seen the Shovels, but hadn't ever held one.  I'm surprised at how different it feels than the Zett, Spyder and other throat guards.  It has a unique feel and craftmanship.

• Like 2

Here are a few to start the 3D model.  If you're looking for something specific, let me know.

IMG_3464.jpg

IMG_3465.jpg

IMG_3466.JPG

IMG_3467.JPG

IMG_3468.JPG

IMG_3470.JPG

IMG_3471.JPG

IMG_3472.jpg

IMG_3473.JPG

36 minutes ago, wolfe_man said:

I'd seen the Shovels, but hadn't ever held one.  I'm surprised at how different it feels than the Zett, Spyder and other throat guards.  It has a unique feel and craftmanship.

Interesting.... I've had both the Zett and Spyder. I would be interested in hearing more.

1 minute ago, BT_Blue said:

Interesting.... I've had both the Zett and Spyder. I would be interested in hearing more.

It feels thinner than the Zett, at least from my memory.  I do have a Spyder and it makes sense there. The Spyder is of course metal with a vinyl covering so it should feel thicker and heavier, but the Zett is of a similar material to the Shovel so I expected them to be the same/similar construction and weight. Both are very light, but the Shovel feels lighter than I remember the Zett (although we're talking an ounce or two so very minute details).

The Shovel is much more detailed than the Zett though.  While the Zett is very functional, it's just molded plastic - whereas the Shovel appears to be well-crafted and designed.  They even put a "trim" around the outside of the front of the mask.  Lots of contours and curves and the detail makes it very sharp.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, wolfe_man said:

Here are a few to start the 3D model.  If you're looking for something specific, let me know.

Can you get an end-on look with the ruler? Like picture #4 with the ruler vertical, one each with the ruler behind and in front?

16 hours ago, kylehutson said:

Can you get an end-on look with the ruler? Like picture #4 with the ruler vertical, one each with the ruler behind and in front?

I hope this is what you wanted. 

The top of the Shovel is about 3 17/20" W (could round to 3 3/4" but it's slightly bigger) while the bottom is 4" W.  The waist is 3 1/16".

IMG_3476.JPG

IMG_3477.JPG

IMG_3478.JPG

IMG_3479.JPG

@Thunderheads,

With @wolfe_man and @kylehutson permission, can you move the comments regarding the measurements and 3D printing of one of these to a new thread in the Umpire Equipment section? That way the conversation can continue even after this gets locked up?

1 minute ago, BT_Blue said:

@Thunderheads,

With @wolfe_man and @kylehutson permission, can you move the comments regarding the measurements and 3D printing of one of these to a new thread in the Umpire Equipment section? That way the conversation can continue even after this gets locked up?

It's okay by me.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wolfe_man said:

I hope this is what you wanted. 

The top of the Shovel is about 3 17/20" W (could round to 3 3/4" but it's slightly bigger) while the bottom is 4" W.  The waist is 3 1/16".

What I want is the height of the bow, both at the front and back. 

^                __________________
|          _____/                  \_____
|        _/                              \_
|       /                                  \
|      /                                    \
V     /                                      \

34 minutes ago, BT_Blue said:

@Thunderheads,

Good idea, yes.

Permission? Pffft. I ain't your SWMBO.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, kylehutson said:

Good idea, yes.

Permission? Pffft. I ain't your SWMBO.

Wait... you mean you get to give permission? It's the other way around for me. Lol

2 minutes ago, BT_Blue said:

Wait... you mean you get to give permission? It's the other way around for me. Lol

We're saying the same thing. He needs to get permission from SWMBO, not me. I don't get asked for my permission to do anything.

• Haha 1