Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
Iverson76er

better at tracking pitch

Hi,

First time post- This will be year 3 of umpiring. The majority of what I do is solo, I have the opportunity to work with a crew but I like the leagues I work for and they need help desperately. I have learned to work out of the slot and anticipate for working solo. I'm aware "don't work solo you're out of position every play" I love youth baseball and it helps pays bills while im getting degree. 

This year I tried to live by "the game plays downhill" and tried to apply chest cavity to my zone. I've heard more than a few groans from the people as a ball falls perfect height in the glove. (alot of what I do is 12u) ball doesn't fall for the older. 

I'm not sure if I'm giving up on pitches that I assume are high and not watching all the way into glove. I may be too low on the top of my zone? 

After a year of going like this im not sure how to correct or if any correction is needed? I was always told its not where the catcher catches the ball, but I've also heard reward a good looking pitch in the glove for my sake in regards to the fans. I don't want to rob batters or pitchers.

I understand working alone is a big no-no with most of you guys. If I had a consistent partner id be able to get good feedback, but as said I work alone. 

I do love what I do and its always a challenge, in the end I want to improve every pitch.

Thanks alot for being umpires, and any feed back would be greatly appreciated.

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

If you are working 12U, look for strikes. The kids need to learn to swing the bat. 

If it's a hittable pitch, call it. Hitters will adjust or not. As for the groans, eff em. 

As you describe it, letters are a strike, esp in 12U. 

Call strikes, you'll start to see your games flow better. Good luck. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BT_Blue said:

Weird... wonder what happened to my response to this? 

Ah ok... it is the same question posted in separate places. But here was my response from the other location. 

"

I wouldn't say that working alone is a "big no no". It is just that a majority if us on the page have reached a point where we no longer have to work solo if we dont want to. But I can also see how it comes off as that. 

As for calling the pitch up... it has to do with perception. As we set up, a majority of us do so at the top most point of our strike zone. It is then that we deal with the optical illusion (at least one played on ourselves that is) that anything eye level is to high. When in reality, it isnt.

So now you need to train your brain that a pitch that would hit you square in the nose is a strike. Anything above that is a ball."

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BT_Blue said:

Weird... wonder what happened to my response to this? 

I thought the exact same thing yesterday. He asked it in two places. 

2 hours ago, johnnyg08 said:

I thought the exact same thing yesterday. He asked it in two places. 

Yeh... it had me really confused. Especially since I think I gave some pretty good advice.

You did and it was appreciated, I'm just getting used to the site, I saw the different areas that can be posted. I wasn't sure if I posted in the correct place. I did a JV game yesterday and thought all game about the top of zone. I see the optical illusion that you refer to, definitely appreciate. I guess thats where the term exploding in your face.

I didn't mean no harm.

On 9/16/2018 at 9:08 AM, Iverson76er said:

You did and it was appreciated, I'm just getting used to the site, I saw the different areas that can be posted. I wasn't sure if I posted in the correct place. I did a JV game yesterday and thought all game about the top of zone. I see the optical illusion that you refer to, definitely appreciate. I guess thats where the term exploding in your face.

I didn't mean no harm.

No harm taken. I view the "Ask The Umpire" section as one to be used by non site members to ask questions. Once you are a member of the site, posting to the section that best defines your question definitely makes it easier for the members to answer. Doing so in the ATU section could get lost in the half dozen or so posts that get made in that section daily.

As for "exploding in your face." Proper use of eyes and proper tracking will help solve the problem of the ball "popping" on you. If you need help with that. Here is what I did.

Take some white socks (everyone has them) or something else soft and white, and fold them into a ball. Then lie down on your bed or somewhere comfortable and toss the ball into the air right over your head. Track the flight of the ball up and down with your EYES ONLY.

Socks are great for this because if you miss catching the ball (and you WILL miss) it wont hurt when it smacks you in the face. (Your wife or SO will get a kick out of this as well by the way... personal experience.)