4-man Rotation and Push

MadMax
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2044 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Since I’ve been watching the Brewers very closely these past few weeks (gettin’ nervous Cubs fans?), I spotted three rotations / pushes that should be made integral into our (pro-amateur umpires) work in 4-man.

Situation A, 0 R on, 0 outs (this is the one where Granderson put it on the edge of Wrigley’s basket, such that it bounced on the edge twice and came back in play, resulting in a triple): U2 stays out and makes ruling regarding HR or not, U3 rotates to 2B, PU rotates to 3B, U1 watches touch of 1B, then releases and rotates to HP. PU at 3B “works the bag” to lineup arriving Runner and throw coming in.

Situation B, 0 R on, 1 out: potential catch/no catch in CF/RF gap, U2 stays out. U3 rotates to 2B, but U1 watches touch at 1B and stays for potential back pick. BR beats throw to 2B, with U3 “working the bag” on the inside.

Situation C, R2 & R1, 0 out: fly ball to F7 at the wall, U3 goes out. Catch, with R2 tagging... U2 takes R2 to 3B (R beats throw), while U1 steps inside, preparing to take R1 to 2B if that develops. PU stays Home (due to R2), and this is a Push.

Bonus Situation!

R1, 1 Out, 3-2 count, Runner going on pitch: Ball 4, Low, skips off the dirt and is caught by F2. While BR is dropping bat and taking guards off... “Time!” to change out the ball. No waiting until BR gets to 1B, nor until R1 gets to 2B... Time was called immediately

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, MadMax said:

Since I’ve been watching the Brewers very closely these past few weeks (gettin’ nervous Cubs fans?), I spotted three rotations / pushes that should be made integral into our (pro-amateur umpires) work in 4-man.

Situation A, 0 R on, 0 outs (this is the one where Granderson put it on the edge of Wrigley’s basket, such that it bounced on the edge twice and came back in play, resulting in a triple): U2 stays out and makes ruling regarding HR or not, U3 rotates to 2B, PU rotates to 3B, U1 watches touch of 1B, then releases and rotates to HP. PU at 3B “works the bag” to lineup arriving Runner and throw coming in.

Situation B, 0 R on, 1 out: potential catch/no catch in CF/RF gap, U2 stays out. U3 rotates to 2B, but U1 watches touch at 1B and stays for potential back pick. BR beats throw to 2B, with U3 “working the bag” on the inside.

Situation C, R2 & R1, 0 out: fly ball to F7 at the wall, U3 goes out. Catch, with R2 tagging... U2 takes R2 to 3B (R beats throw), while U1 steps inside, preparing to take R1 to 2B if that develops. PU stays Home (due to R2), and this is a Push.

Bonus Situation!

R1, 1 Out, 3-2 count, Runner going on pitch: Ball 4, Low, skips off the dirt and is caught by F2. While BR is dropping bat and taking guards off... “Time!” to change out the ball. No waiting until BR gets to 1B, nor until R1 gets to 2B... Time was called immediately

Wouldn't those be standard in any association? Granted some associations have some members who consider going out as a turn in place.

Granting time on a walk is not covered in the OBR rules and Wendelstedt's  guidance was followed in this case. Most of us follow his guidance in NCAA and FED even though they have a rule against it. 

@Jimurray, some of our readership do not belong to an association, nor have an association (and any training it’s supposed to provide) available to them. Even those in associations rarely, if ever, get exposed to 3 or 4 man mechanics, and when they do, the directives become, “Well, do what the pros do.”

Furthermore, even with associations putting 3 and 4 man crews out there on a game, you’ll still see guys standing around, ball-watching, leaving bases or responsibilities uncovered. I point these situations out because while all the rest of the ballpark is watching the ball, at least 1-4 (I being one of them, despite being in attendance at the game) folks are watching their fellow umpires and reacting (doing something) in accordance to their next responsibility (as a crew).

I pointed out the calling of Time upon Ball 4 because it is perfect example of context. In that ballgame, is R1 really going to overrun 2B, or try to go 1st to 3rd... on a walk? Is BR going to refuse to go to 1B, or is he going to stop along the baseline and talk with his 1BC, or will he *gasp* over-walk 1B? Is he really going to try and draw a throw so as to give his other baserunner a chance to advance? Is the defense (in control of the ball, mind you) really going to try and get one of the Runners out?

No.

Understand the context and situation you’re in.

Only overly aggressive 11U coaches pull that crap.