Does this run count?

Guest Desmond
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2021 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Runners on 2nd and 3rd, 1 out. Fly ball caught in the outfield for out #2. Runner at 3rd tags correctly and runs home. However, the runner on 2nd leaves early and I call him out on an appeal for out #3. Does the run count?

10 answers to this question

5 hours ago, spiffdawg7 said:

This is a time play.  Run counts if R3 touched home before R2 was appealed at 2nd.  

True, but this could be mis-interpreted (this is the newbie section). The plate umpire is watching whether R3 touches HP before/after R2 is tagged out at 2B (and by tagged I mean either the runner or the base). It is an appeal (not a force) and a time play. If the throw to 2B beats R3 touching HP, no run scores...vice versa, run scores. 

1 hour ago, ricka56 said:

True, but this could be mis-interpreted (this is the newbie section). The plate umpire is watching whether R3 touches HP before/after R2 is tagged out at 2B (and by tagged I mean either the runner or the base). It is an appeal (not a force) and a time play. If the throw to 2B beats R3 touching HP, no run scores...vice versa, run scores. 

What is there to be misinterpreted and what did you say that Spiffdawg didn't?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, beerguy55 said:

What is there to be misinterpreted 

For an umpire, nothing. But most know-nothings (Ask the Umpire is a Baseball 101 page for the know-nothings) think that an appeal is when a call is changed after umpires confer. 

5 hours ago, beerguy55 said:

what did you say that Spiffdawg didn't?

Elaboration. And since this is the page for know-nothings, I will include the definition of the this five syllable word for you
https://www.google.com/search?q=elaboration&oq=elaboration&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.5167j1j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

1 hour ago, ricka56 said:

For an umpire, nothing. But most know-nothings (Ask the Umpire is a Baseball 101 page for the know-nothings) think that an appeal is when a call is changed after umpires confer. 

Elaboration. And since this is the page for know-nothings, I will include the definition of the this five syllable word for you
https://www.google.com/search?q=elaboration&oq=elaboration&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.5167j1j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

The OP was umpiring although he might not have been an umpire. Perhaps we should ask him to elaborate on how many guys in blue shirts were at the game and what position he was in when he ruled. And what the other person in blue shirt if there was one, did rule. Then again there have been so many of these time play questions that I might suspect a troll.

11 hours ago, ricka56 said:

Condescend much?

The OP specifically mentioned calling the runner out on appeal for leaving early.

The response to which you commented was an answer to that situation, and specifically mentioned the runner "appealed at second".

Unless you read every post you see on the Internet in an isolated bubble anyone with two brain cells to rub together, whether they know the rules of baseball or not, should be able to understand the context of the statement.

You didn't elaborate...you stated the obvious - especially when you consider the OP was written by the umpire in question, you effectively told him what he was doing on the play...and the person to whom you replied is also an umpire, and already knows what you stated...the stuff left unsaid didn't need to be said.

Guest Force play or not?

The bases are loaded and the batter hits a ground ball to the first baseman who steps on first then throws home for the double play. Is the runner at home still a force play or does the out at first negate the force and the catcher must tag the runner?