Is the player out

Guest Jackie Buessecker
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2052 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Guest Jackie Buessecker

The opposing team had a runner running from second to third base after a ball was hit.  The third baseman had the ball for the tag and she would have been out, but the runner hit her glove and the ball was dropped.  The runner thought she was out, and started to walk off the field.  Her teammates realized the ball had been dropped and told her to get back to third.  When she turned around and headed back she accidentally kicked the ball and it rolled out of play.  The umpire then awarded her a free walk to home plate because the ball was out of bounds.  The game was lost as they were the home team, bottom of the 8th and the game was tied until this happened.

23 answers to this question

12 minutes ago, Guest Jackie Buessecker said:

The opposing team had a runner running from second to third base after a ball was hit.  The third baseman had the ball for the tag and she would have been out, but the runner hit her glove and the ball was dropped.  The runner thought she was out, and started to walk off the field.  Her teammates realized the ball had been dropped and told her to get back to third.  When she turned around and headed back she accidentally kicked the ball and it rolled out of play.  The umpire then awarded her a free walk to home plate because the ball was out of bounds.  The game was lost as they were the home team, bottom of the 8th and the game was tied until this happened.

Sounds correct to me.

1 hour ago, Lou B said:

"the runner hit her glove"?

Was this an Dereck Jeter  A-Rod "swat" of the fielders glove or did the runner just "hit the glove" with the body as part of the tag?

In the first case the runner is out and the call is dead, in the second case play on.

FIFY

Also, it's Derek, not DereCk.

• Thanks 1

On 9/2/2018 at 9:02 PM, Guest Jackie Buessecker said:

There are three possible reasons to be out here, but none sound likely:

1. By "hit her glove" you mean intentionally swatted at the glove, as opposed to just running/sliding through a tag - ie.  there would have to be intent

2. For softball, if she left the base and entered "the team area" or left the field of play

3. She intentionally kicked the ball out of play

All three would be judgment calls for the umpire, even number two with "team area".

4 hours ago, Ump29 said:

Who said this was softball ?

Really...this again?   You need to stop with this nonsense and getting your panties in a knot every time someone here "assumes" (deductive reasoning is more accurate) a female is playing softball, not baseball.  Yes, I'm fully aware that there are female baseball teams, fully aware that some boys teams have a female member or two, and I'm fully aware that there are female baseball leagues and tournaments.  But you seem to be in denial that somewhere north of 90% of females who play a sport with a bat and glove in North America are playing softball, not baseball (and that the efforts and turnout you're seeing in Nova Scotia far exceed pretty much anything anywhere else in North America)...and well north of 95% of any female teams, or leagues, or any tournaments happening across North America at any given time are softball, not baseball.   For every female baseball tournament you find scheduled to play next weekend, I'll find 20 female softball tournaments without breaking a sweat.

So, yes, I'm simply playing the odds - and when a female fielder tries to tag a female runner I'll bet it's softball every time.   And if lose 1-2% of the time, I can live with that. 

22 hours ago, beerguy55 said:

Really...this again?   You need to stop with this nonsense and getting your panties in a knot every time someone here "assumes" (deductive reasoning is more accurate) a female is playing softball, not baseball.  Yes, I'm fully aware that there are female baseball teams, fully aware that some boys teams have a female member or two, and I'm fully aware that there are female baseball leagues and tournaments.  But you seem to be in denial that somewhere north of 90% of females who play a sport with a bat and glove in North America are playing softball, not baseball (and that the efforts and turnout you're seeing in Nova Scotia far exceed pretty much anything anywhere else in North America)...and well north of 95% of any female teams, or leagues, or any tournaments happening across North America at any given time are softball, not baseball.   For every female baseball tournament you find scheduled to play next weekend, I'll find 20 female softball tournaments without breaking a sweat.

So, yes, I'm simply playing the odds - and when a female fielder tries to tag a female runner I'll bet it's softball every time.   And if lose 1-2% of the time, I can live with that. 

Lighten up Francis!

11 minutes ago, stkjock said:

ummm... nope.....

I can live with that.  I prefer the constant taunting of Deadpool to a villain named Francis who doesn't feel any pain.

I'm one of about six people in the world who was never impressed with Stripes.  Nor Blazing Saddles for that matter.   And, I also think To Kill a Mockingbird (both book and movie) are grossly overrated.

Bring out the pitchforks...

• Sad 1

59 minutes ago, stkjock said:

your reply was to the wrong quote - now if it was posted " what's my name" then you'd have been correct

also clearly you have no sense of humor........

Just different.  Life of Brian is my all time favorite comedy.  Airplane!  Animal House.  Vacation.  Caddyshack.  This is Spinal Tap.  Best in Show.  Groundhog Day.

But I'm "meh" on things like Dr. Strangelove and I can't stand Woody Allen.