Can the player be suspended

Guest Jackie Buessecker
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2052 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

15 answers to this question

Many leagues have mandatory suspensions for players and/or coaches that are ejected. Many of these leagues also allow for post game ejections which would bring about thiat suspension. So in a round about way yes, but not directly.

The 2016 BRD (section 171, p. 128) has this OI for FED:

Official Interpretation:  Hopkins:  After the game the umpires no longer have jurisdiction to eject a player or a coach. Instead, a report should be made to the state association.

2015 NFHS Rules Interpretations--SITUATION 14: After the umpires have left the field following the conclusion of the game, the visiting coach and some of the parents follow the umpires to their cars to state their opinions on the umpires’ performance. RULING: The umpires are to be left alone and allowed to leave the field without being subject to poor sportsmanship. While the umpires no longer have jurisdiction to eject a player or coach, a report should be made to the state association concerning the incident. (10-1-2, 2015 Points of Emphasis)

So...based on the proximity of your two posts...after losing your game in extra innings, on a call the umpires made correctly (though that is irrelevant), your coach (husband?) then proceeded to lose his SH*# and argue/abuse the umpire, and you're wondering if he should be able to just do whatever the Hell he wants because the game is over...right?

The proper procedure, if you think the umpire made an incorrect rule application (not an incorrect judgment) is to very politely and respectfully file a protest immediately after the play is over, before the umpire leaves the field.

The other proper thing is to coach your third baseman to properly put her bare hand over her glove hand when making a tag to ensure the ball doesn't pop out.

I know in many areas, that if a person acts in such a fashion that the umpire feels it is necessary to file an 'after action ended' report with their league, the punishment brought upon the offender will be much more severe than what they would receive for simply being ejected. The thought being that in the middle of the game, in the heat of the moment, the coach/player may say or act in a negative way due to the ongoing emotion of the game. Finding an official after they have left the field, be it on the way to the lot, locker room or at their car raises the bar... you are premeditating to give the official a 'piece of your mind' or potentially escalating an event to a point of violence, and regardless of what transpired on the field, this behavior is never appropriate.

No, maybe is the answer to your question... but most definitely if someone approaches the officials after the game, when off the field, in any negative or aggressive fashion it should be reported and dealt with by the appropriate league officials. As a board member, if a parent, player or coach was reported to our group, I would push for severe penalties depending on the overall nature of the conflict.

Bottom line... let it go. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, noumpere said:

Not what I said.

The question was can the umpires suspend.

That morphed to when they can eject.

I said until they leave the field

You responded that if might extend to the stadium or parking lot. 

I made a facetious remark asking how they can eject from the parking lot.

It IS what you said.

18 minutes ago, Rich Ives said:

The question was can the umpires suspend.

That morphed to when they can eject.

I said until they leave the field

You responded that if might extend to the stadium or parking lot. 

I made a facetious remark asking how they can eject from the parking lot.

It IS what you said.

From NCAA:

k.    Umpire jurisdiction in regard to personal confrontations and unsportsmanlike
conduct directed toward them begins when the umpires enter the game site
and ends when the umpires have left the game site.

So, yes, umpires can eject / suspend after they leave the field.  I said nothing about x-ray vision and needing to see the field.

I forget whether FED has something similar, or if it's just a state adoption.

No, Mr. noumpere, the FED does not have something similar to the NCAA ruling (which shows that you did not read my earlier post concerning the jurisdiction of the high school umpire). I guess I should have posted the actual FED rule instead of the interpretation and the case play. So here it is—

FED rule 10-1-2…Umpire jurisdiction begins upon the umpires arriving at the field (within the confines of the field) and ends when the umpires leave the playing field at the conclusion of the game…State associations may intercede in the event of unusual incidents after the umpires’ jurisdiction has ended or in the event that a game is terminated prior to the conclusion of regulation play.

FED Case Book Play 10.1.2 Situation B:  As an umpire is walking to the field, a player from one of the teams swears at the umpire. Ruling:  Unless the umpire is within the confines of the field, he cannot impose any penalties. Comment:  The umpire should inform the player’s coach immediately, and if circumstances warrant, submit a written account to the state association.

And the full citation of the NCAA rule posted is 3-6k in the 2017-18 rule book. And a full explanation of the NCAA position on post-participation ejections can be found at rule 2-26.

Bottom line - just because the game is over doesn't mean the coach gets a free pass - whether he can be "ejected" or "suspended" in the parking lot, by the umpire, or someone else, is kind of beside the point.

I suspect the OP meant "eject". (or it's possible she considers them interchangeable because an ejection leads to a suspension)

And I suspect the ejection occurred on the field, moments after the team lost in extra innings on a call the umpires got right.

And, if this is a tournament, and the ump in question is also the UIC, he just might be able to suspend the coach, depending on how the TD assigns that jurisdiction.