LLWS

maineump
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1781 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Well the 2018 LLWS is in the books. This has been a very busy 10 days but was a very cool experience. 

I checked in a few times late at night after a day at the complex. I saw a few questions that came up, but don't remember them. If anyone has questions about how things work during the series, please ask away. I will be on the road all day Monday, but will try to sign in Wednesday to answer stuff for you all 

Thanks for following along ( if you did) and call em like you see em. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, JaxRolo said:

Do they teach them to go 1blx on plays at the plate? I saw it a lot during the series.

Nope. 1bx was what the individual umpires did on their own. We were told to do what you do at home. 

I used 3bx into the wedge on my plays at the plate. I was asked by the other guys how to do it. 

During the week, the guys would talk and try to learn from each other. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Aging_Arbiter said:

I'd just like to hear what an entire "typical" day entails. 

Typical day started with breakfast at the hotel. It depended on game times on who showed up. We were generally at the venue 1.5 hours before your assigned game time. This time was used for cleaning shoes and gear, collecting cleaned uniforms, discussing the day before (early in the tournament we really didn't watch each other due to the number of games. There was also the usual locker room banter. 

Pre-game was 30-45 minutes before we went to the field. Post-game after was led by crew chief and staff. 

Depending on schedule some went to eat at venue, went to watch another game or returned to hotel if last game. 

We did carpool with each other as well. 

We stayed very busy all week, and generally were at the complex. It seemed most of the week waiting out rain delays. We did have a day off, and guys went and saw local things. 

Sounds boring, but we all felt we were there for baseball. 

• Like 1

Was there any talk about the South Korea batters almost standing on the plate in the championship game?  Once they got behind by 3 runs and the lines were gone, most of them had their front foot no more than an inch from the plate.  I suppose we all deal with it differently, but it should have been addressed.

Kudos to the Hawaii pitcher for pitching through it and even busting them inside which turned the advantage they were trying to gain into their own disadvantage,

21 minutes ago, grayhawk said:

Was there any talk about the South Korea batters almost standing on the plate in the championship game?  Once they got behind by 3 runs and the lines were gone, most of them had their front foot no more than an inch from the plate.  I suppose we all deal with it differently, but it should have been addressed.

Kudos to the Hawaii pitcher for pitching through it and even busting them inside which turned the advantage they were trying to gain into their own disadvantage,

Why address it at upper levels if the catcher is not complaining and the pitcher is dealing with it effectively? Just call that inside strike. It's a legal swinging position as soon as the ball is on the way.

53 minutes ago, stkjock said:

Did u attend the Classic?

what was all the commotion in your international game at the plate with the replay  

Yes we did attend the classic. Very good show by MLB and LL. We also had our pictures taken with the Phillies, and spent an hour or so with Gerry Davis and his crew. If I remember it was Chris Guccione, Mark Ripperger and Jeremie Rehak, a call up. They were great guys and fun to hang out with. Lots of knowledge in that group. Chris called to innings at 2B in the LL game and got a banger. He sold it and didn't get reviewed. He was all smiles when he came back the locker room.

Well, there were lots of things going on. Mostly, the manager was trying to tell me what he wanted in Korean (BTW, I don't speak Korean), and it frustrated him until the interpreter got there. If I remember correctly, he wanted to review the play at HP. After that review, Puerto Rico wanted to review 1B. There was also something about a balk - there are no balks in this division. I think that was on a tag-up play, and PR appealed incorrectly. Most of the issues, IMO were language barriers and a very different culture. I think in the end we got it right. It was a lesson in International relations. I hope this answers this part of the question.

33 minutes ago, grayhawk said:

There was some talk after the game. I agree, they did crowd the plate. Hawaii played it well and threw inside. The Koreans could still get their hands through, they we aggressive at the plate. Not sure what the plat guy had to say about it, as I never asked him.

3 hours ago, maineump said:

Yes we did attend the classic. Very good show by MLB and LL. We also had our pictures taken with the Phillies, and spent an hour or so with Gerry Davis and his crew. If I remember it was Chris Guccione, Mark Ripperger and Jeremie Rehak, a call up. They were great guys and fun to hang out with. Lots of knowledge in that group. Chris called to innings at 2B in the LL game and got a banger. He sold it and didn't get reviewed. He was all smiles when he came back the locker room.

Well, there were lots of things going on. Mostly, the manager was trying to tell me what he wanted in Korean (BTW, I don't speak Korean), and it frustrated him until the interpreter got there. If I remember correctly, he wanted to review the play at HP. After that review, Puerto Rico wanted to review 1B. There was also something about a balk - there are no balks in this division. I think that was on a tag-up play, and PR appealed incorrectly. Most of the issues, IMO were language barriers and a very different culture. I think in the end we got it right. It was a lesson in International relations. I hope this answers this part of the question.

Just to be precise, there are no balks but violations of the LLGB 8.05 in the Major league division is an illegal pitch (ball) with runners on. Very rare to have a violation, but it can happen. What happened? Would a ball added to the count mattered in the game?

7 hours ago, Jimurray said:

Just to be precise, there are no balks but violations of the LLGB 8.05 in the Major league division is an illegal pitch (ball) with runners on. Very rare to have a violation, but it can happen. What happened? Would a ball added to the count mattered in the game?

If I remember correctly. The manager felt that the step off was a balk/illegal pitch. This was while PR was attempting to appeal a runner leaving early. So, after finally figuring out what he was asking for, we got together. Our discussion (as I remember) was about the appeal and if it was proper, we also talked about an illegal pitch, and everyone had a proper step back.

So bottom line (in our opinion) was - 1. proper step-off - check  2. appeal on runner - we decided that the appeal was improper. He touched the wrong base and did not tag the runner - so safe.

To the last part - adding a ball? I'm not sure if it would have helped or not - don't remember the count.

2 hours ago, maineump said:

If I remember correctly. The manager felt that the step off was a balk/illegal pitch. This was while PR was attempting to appeal a runner leaving early. So, after finally figuring out what he was asking for, we got together. Our discussion (as I remember) was about the appeal and if it was proper, we also talked about an illegal pitch, and everyone had a proper step back.

So bottom line (in our opinion) was - 1. proper step-off - check  2. appeal on runner - we decided that the appeal was improper. He touched the wrong base and did not tag the runner - so safe.

To the last part - adding a ball? I'm not sure if it would have helped or not - don't remember the count.

Courtesy of ESPN replay, F1 would have been balked in MLB when he had a slight start stop flinch to come set just before the first step off, then at any level he would have been balked when he reengaged with a live ball and then turned but did not step off. What was not a balk/IP,  which the 3BC wanted, was the last step off when he threw to 3B. That was legal. But I have F5 tagging the runner at 3B which should have been ruled on by U2 who busted inside and appeared to have a great lineup of the catch and tag.

17 hours ago, Jimurray said:

Why address it at upper levels if the catcher is not complaining and the pitcher is dealing with it effectively? Just call that inside strike. It's a legal swinging position as soon as the ball is on the way.

I never have to deal with it at upper levels - batters don't do it.

5 hours ago, Jimurray said:

Courtesy of ESPN replay, F1 would have been balked in MLB when he had a slight start stop flinch to come set just before the first step off, then at any level he would have been balked when he reengaged with a live ball and then turned but did not step off. What was not a balk/IP,  which the 3BC wanted, was the last step off when he threw to 3B. That was legal. But I have F5 tagging the runner at 3B which should have been ruled on by U2 who busted inside and appeared to have a great lineup of the catch and tag.

Thanks for the insight. We did ask if there was a tag of the runner. Lots of confusion for everyone. The pitcher was confused about how to do the appeal to start it off. 

From the replay you saw, did the runner leave early? I have not seen any replays yet. The only replays I have seen were on the 2 calls I had reviewed at the plate. That was in the replay room at the series. 

23 minutes ago, maineump said:

Thanks for the insight. We did ask if there was a tag of the runner. Lots of confusion for everyone. The pitcher was confused about how to do the appeal to start it off. 

From the replay you saw, did the runner leave early? I have not seen any replays yet. The only replays I have seen were on the 2 calls I had reviewed at the plate. That was in the replay room at the series. 

I don’t think he left early. U2 seemed to be right in line but tv doesn’t stay there. But an amazing lack of appeal knowledge on the part of the team. Most coaches at that level teach how to do it, at least the simple take rubber step off and throw. Right @Rich Ives ?

5 hours ago, th3 said:

thanks very much for sharing @maineump   I havent been on this site in a while and didnt know we had someone on the WS - congratulations on that honor! Did you have Hawaii at all - they were my wife's favorite by far!

Yep, I had them twice. The 11 inning and against New York. Great kids and outstanding coaches. Hawaii and Georgia shared the sportsmanship award. 

• Like 1

On 8/27/2018 at 6:25 PM, maineump said:

Nope. 1bx was what the individual umpires did on their own. We were told to do what you do at home. 

I used 3bx into the wedge on my plays at the plate. I was asked by the other guys how to do it. 

During the week, the guys would talk and try to learn from each other. 

Good! Thanks for the reply!

• 5 months later...

Humbled to be one of the umpires selected this year, 7 years after I worked my regional.

The crew is already communicating regularly and it's going to be a good group -- a new family for me, I can already tell.

I didn't umpire last year, with the exception of some LL district games where I jumped on the bases - I'm the UIC and I did that to ensure all games had 2 umpires.  Knee injury and surgery. 

Looking forward to the snow melting and getting back on the diamond.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, RichMSN said:

Humbled to be one of the umpires selected this year, 7 years after I worked my regional.

The crew is already communicating regularly and it's going to be a good group -- a new family for me, I can already tell.

I didn't umpire last year, with the exception of some LL district games where I jumped on the bases - I'm the UIC and I did that to ensure all games had 2 umpires.  Knee injury and surgery. 

Looking forward to the snow melting and getting back on the diamond.

I already told you this when you posted it on FB. But, congrats Rich! Well deserved.