Just saw the new SSK plate shoes.....nice

The1yankee
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2063 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I signed up.with samuraigears.com

Seems one of few places to purchase Japanese umpire equipment

looking at the new SSK plate shoes....very nice!!!!

$180.00/I'm sure not including shipping

{metatarsal plate on top of shoe flips sideways, as it's held in place by Velcro patch

No shoe strings involved! A quarter shaped dial, located on back of heel turns to tighten or loosen rubber-like laces

material of shoes is more 90% vinyl material(which is great to combat some of the dirt at certain. fields,.that just seems to stick to any cloth material on shoes

Seems SSK thought of everything when making these bad boys! Curious what shipping from japan would be?

These are DEFINITELY my next plate shoe purchase after the NB get worn out

(an actual plate shoe that doesn't suck in dirt, like NB, don't have to tie shoes, just spin dial...and met. plate just flips to side by Velcro to clean or access under plate, sign me up)

Japanese shoe makers only make shoes in sizes up to the equivalent of a US 10 ....unfortunately.

BTW .......this post is useless without photos :D 

EDIT: .....these??  If so ...yuck

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SSK-baseball-sports-shoes-BOA-specification-TRL-5150-9090-black-x-black-28-5-New-/122533214437

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thunderheads said:

Japanese shoe makers only make shoes in sizes up to the equivalent of a US 10 ....unfortunately.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SSK-baseball-sports-shoes-BOA-specification-TRL-5150-9090-black-x-black-28-5-New-/122533214437

Geesh, you'll put somebody's eye out with those.

3 hours ago, Thunderheads said:

Could you imagine the damage done to the ball if it hits those things? Also... with all the right angles, would they be picked up on a radar? Those things might be stealth plate shoes.

10 hours ago, Thunderheads said:

American (specialty sport) shoe makers only make shoes in sizes down to the equivalent of a US 7, or a 6.5 at best... unfortunately for our women and junior umpires!!!

imgrc0070037269.jpg?fitin=330:330

You think them ugly? I think they’re engineering marvels. “Boa” tourniquet system, so it's laceless... we use the same thing in our snowboard boots. Cuts down on weight and laces coming loose at inopportune times. Segmented, pyramidal (“spikes”) armor plates affords flexibility while reducing the amount of armor drastically. When a ball hits, it is likely to impact 1-3 of those spike points; the energy will force the pyramid to compress, which will transfer the load diagonally, then laterally.

Because of the segmented “spikes”, the armor flap is articulated, and can wrap the foot, instead of being a big shovel squatting atop your shoe (*cough!* New Balance 460v1’s!! *cough!*). The damage done to a baseball is negligible.

But the big – err, small? – advantage is the smaller sizes and footprints. You don’t have to feel like you’re wearing steel-toed boots and shoes. While pricey, this will be an excellent option for the small-soled among us, because New Balance isn’t going any smaller, and Reebok is never coming back.

1 hour ago, MadMax said:

American (specialty sport) shoe makers only make shoes in sizes down to the equivalent of a US 7, or a 6.5 at best... unfortunately... for our women and junior umpires!!!

You think them ugly? I think they’re engineering marvels. “Boa” tourniquet system, so it's laceless... we use the same thing in our snowboard boots. Cuts down on weight and laces coming loose at inopportune times. Segmented, pyramidal (“spikes”) armor plates affords flexibility while reducing the amount of armor drastically. When a ball hits, it is likely to impact 1-3 of those spike points; the energy will force the pyramid to compress, which will transfer the load diagonally, then laterally.

Because of the segmented “spikes”, the armor flap is articulated, and can wrap the foot, instead of being a big shovel squatting atop your shoe (*cough!* New Balance 460v1’s!! *cough!*). The damage done to a baseball is negligible.

But the big – err, small? – advantage is the smaller sizes and footprints. You don’t have to feel like you’re wearing steel-toed boots and shoes. While pricey, this will be an excellent option for the small-soled among us, because New Balance isn’t going any smaller, and Reebok is never coming back.

Yessir! Tell em @MadMax.......Personally, I am a NB  guy for regular wear tennis shoes but...these ssk functions outweigh the looks in my opinion (lace lock system dial-like it!!!--and also the met. plate--and JUST having to wipe off dirt from majority of shoe, not give the whole dang shoe a bath & soap & soak & dry...if u need shoes to look out of the box. Imagine just having to wipe plate shoes on an All areas  visible to others, instead of scrubbing the 460v with soap.n water. 

Just opinion....but Japanese companies always seem to be at the top of heap for umpire gear, mizuno & ssk.

n yes those are shoes I was referring too in link up top. Thanks for posting link @Thunderheads

My first plate shoes had metatarsal plates that were affixed at the toes with velcro, but the velcro never held and as I ran, the plates would flap like a flag in the wind. Granted, that was more than 35 years ago, so I hope that velcro here holds better.