Problem with Force 3 shins

AL-Ump
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2047 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I purchases the Force 3 shins recently and enjoy the fit and feel of the shin guards.  My problem is that when I stand up from being in a set position, my pants are gobbled up by the tp of the guards.  I have to pop my pants after almost every pitch.  I asked the person I purchased them from if I should have a different size, but she said that I need to remove the pad in the guard and that would help.  She said it would also make the guards much cooler.

I umpire softball, so I'm not real worried about the loss of padding.  What I am concerned about is that one of the big reasons I went to this guard is that I can take the pad out and wash it when it gets nasty.  If I take it out now, then any ability to keep the guards clean will be lost.

Any idea how I can keep the guards from eating my pants?

I have worn these for most of this season and never had that issue.  I bought these because of the lightweight and they had a 14.5" model.  I have never heard the recommendation to removed the padding from a item of protective gear to make it fit better.  I am thinking that yours are too long regardless of what she says.  

1 hour ago, AL-Ump said:

I purchases the Force 3 shins recently and enjoy the fit and feel of the shin guards.  My problem is that when I stand up from being in a set position, my pants are gobbled up by the tp of the guards.  I have to pop my pants after almost every pitch.  I asked the person I purchased them from if I should have a different size, but she said that I need to remove the pad in the guard and that would help.  She said it would also make the guards much cooler.

I umpire softball, so I'm not real worried about the loss of padding.  What I am concerned about is that one of the big reasons I went to this guard is that I can take the pad out and wash it when it gets nasty.  If I take it out now, then any ability to keep the guards clean will be lost.

Any idea how I can keep the guards from eating my pants?

Do not take the pads out of your equipment when you are using them.  Don't get why she told you that.

I am giving this some thought based on if you were in my office, and we could test this out thoroughly. Here are the things I would check first:

1. Are your shin guards the right size? Is it possible that you purchased a size too long, and these are riding up past your knee (as these are not supposed to) and causing the problem in some way.
  2. Is your top strap tight enough? With the strap being on the top "knee" and that "knee" fitting at the knee, being too loose could cause it to not hug to your knee as well.

I have a strong hunch that 1 is your issue, but read further if you still have the issue despite the 1st 2 checks.

Given that your shin guards worked with your pants before and these are even lower profile, I assume it is not a cut of the pant issue (e.g. that you need combo or plate pants).

Beyond the above, I would consider 1 of 2 things if you want to stay with the shin guards:

1. Try a different fabric pant. The poly spandex material is great as it slides more easily over your shin guards. We would throw a pair of those on to check.
  2. If you don't want to do that, I would send you off to a tailor or seamstress to add a layer of silk on the inside of your pants where your shin guards are catching so that it slides more easily. This is an old trick I learned from former Minor League Exec Director and now MLB Replay Center Head Justin Klemm.

If this still does not work, then you should quit umpiring for good...just kidding...then either give it some more time and/or try a different shin guard.

I would love to hear how all of this works out for you or if you find something different that is causing the issue. I learn something new every day.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, acpar72 said:

Removing the inner/extra pad will help as they will be closer to your leg and less space to catch your pants on the way up out of your stance.  She was not telling you to remove all the padding just the inner removable pad.

Correct, just the removable pad was what she recommended to be removed.

I ran into this just a tad at the end of my season. But had no issue with it. I had more of an issue with the cuff of my pants catching the bottom of the shin guard. But that is more a case of needing it to get rehemmed than with the shin guards itself.