Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
Kevin_K

2019 Changes

https://www.ncaa.com/news/baseball/article/2018-08-16/college-baseball-video-review-challenge-system-approved

It seemed as though it would only be a matter of time before the IBB and no fake to third would be implemented. The changes on pitchers' positioning is going to be problematic unless there is a universal effort to enforce the new standards.

The HBP and runners staying at their bases changes are the most interesting to me. I wonder what the penalty will be for runners leaving their bases during a defensive conference.

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
  • To be considered in a wind-up position, a pitcher must stand with his chest and shoulders generally facing the batter, with the pivot foot on or in front of and touching the pitcher’s plate. The pitcher’s free foot must be touching or be behind the plane of the front edge of the pitching plate.

Wow. That's the FED rule. Like you say, enforcement will be key. 

I'm assuming this one will change the guidance of allowing the catcher to block the base if the incoming throw is within 60' of home?

Other rules changes approved include:

• Defensive players will not be allowed to block a base without possession of the ball at any time

As always, it will depend on the examples they give and any difference (if any) between "block" and "move to receive a throw" and "position to receive a throw" and "provide any / complete access" etc.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, zoops said:

I'm assuming this one will change the guidance of allowing the catcher to block the base if the incoming throw is within 60' of home?

Other rules changes approved include:

• Defensive players will not be allowed to block a base without possession of the ball at any time

This too, seems to say they're aligning more with FED. Guess it will depend on the actual wording, and interps, as noumpere has stated.  

59 minutes ago, Richvee said:
  • To be considered in a wind-up position, a pitcher must stand with his chest and shoulders generally facing the batter, with the pivot foot on or in front of and touching the pitcher’s plate. The pitcher’s free foot must be touching or be behind the plane of the front edge of the pitching plate.

Wow. That's the FED rule. Like you say, enforcement will be key. 

That's more restrictive than the FED rule. I've seen hybrid pitchers adapt their foot positions to comply with the FED rule and still still have their chest facing more towards the foul line.

• Like 1

On 8/17/2018 at 2:37 PM, Jimurray said:

That's more restrictive than the FED rule. I've seen hybrid pitchers adapt their foot positions to comply with the FED rule and still still have their chest facing more towards the foul line.

Will be interesting to see how strictly they want this enforced.  I'd say at least 75% of the pitchers in the NCAA games I worked this past spring would have been violating this rule.  Could be a real pain as whiny coaches will say a pitcher is violating the rule even if it's only by a couple inches.  

14 hours ago, zoops said:

Will be interesting to see how strictly they want this enforced.  I'd say at least 75% of the pitchers in the NCAA games I worked this past spring would have been violating this rule.  Could be a real pain as whiny coaches will say a pitcher is violating the rule even if it's only by a couple inches.  

Yes, I don't know who the rules committee is comprised of ( @lawump), but I can't picture most college pitching coaches being happy with this. If umpires are involved it's worse dumbing down than FED. If coaches are involved they must not know what their pitching coach is doing. But once again "how strictly enforced" come into play. I posted a current rule less strictly enforced CWS pitcher earlier this summer. Why don't they go MLB one step further? Coach, runner or umpire, raise your hand and ask what the pitcher intends if you are not sure. Then he declares for you. Would someone please post a current college pitcher from whose stance who I wouldn't know  whether he was going to set or windup?

Edited to add: I think the rules committee is comprised of ADs and coaches with the rules editor being advisory only with no vote.

• Like 1

On 8/17/2018 at 3:36 PM, Richvee said:

This too, seems to say they're aligning more with FED. Guess it will depend on the actual wording, and interps, as noumpere has stated.  

I think More MLB.. the catchers in MLB cant block the base till they have the ball.

33 minutes ago, Haid D' Salaami said:

I think More MLB.. the catchers in MLB cant block the base till they have the ball.

But MLB can move there if the flight of the ball takes them into the path. The "in the ac of fielding" caveat. FED has no such provision. That's why I say we need to see exactly how NCAA writes it. 

2 hours ago, Richvee said:

But MLB can move there if the flight of the ball takes them into the path. The "in the ac of fielding" caveat. FED has no such provision. That's why I say we need to see exactly how NCAA writes it. 

personally, just like now.. if the flight takes the Catcher's into the runners path, then its just nothing

• Like 1