Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
lawump

Umps need to face the press after a controversial call...because, dammit, I want to ask them questions

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

Not specific to the call noted in the article, but many of the times they want 'clarification' seems to be on easy, black and white rulings that most umpires would not feel need to be explained.

Probably wouldn't be the worst thing in the case of odd rules-related situations; might even help the general public learn the rules a bit (I can dream).  I don't see a lot of value in asking an umpire why he called a pitch that was 2 inches outside a strike, kind of like asking a third baseman why he booted a ground ball.  

• Like 1

I don't see why MLB umpires can't follow a protocol similar to NFL referees.  You don't tell the crowd about every play.  But infractions, unusual stuff, and especially replay review, why not?  Inevitably, the ump ends up talking to one coach, then goes over and talks to the other coach anyway, and meanwhile the fans in the stands and at home don't have the first clue what's going on, unless some mic was lucky enough to pick up part of a conversation - kill three birds and get on a mic.

It also better serves to educate.  I learned a lot about NFL rules from the dude in stripes telling us what just happened.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, beerguy55 said:

It also better serves to educate.  I learned a lot about NFL rules from the dude in stripes telling us what just happened.

And now with the full retirement of the Gun Show that was Ed Hocculi. We will be learning a whole lot less about the rules.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, BT_Blue said:

And now with the full retirement of the Gun Show that was Ed Hocculi. We will be learning a whole lot less about the rules.

My favorite - "Yes, there are penalties in the Pro Bowl"

• Like 2

No one quite had the ability to take what, at times, is a very easy explanation... and turn it into a 2 minute master class on a particular foul.

• Like 1