All Star FM4000MAG

umpstu
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2025 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Well, used my FM4000MAG today and it impressed me.   I took two shots and it did a great job.  Of course one shot was to my right shin guard and the other was to my right thigh, but the mask was great during those two incidents.   The big pads, especially the chin pad, absorbed all of my tears when I was hit in the thigh.  Oh, it is unbelievably light and the view is fantastic.  Of course Jim Kirk says stay tuned when the black model is mentioned.

• Like 5
  • Haha 5

Tell you what. Getting hit sucks.  I followed up the previous day game with another plate job the following day.  I know I was hit over five times that game in a 7 inning game. One chest shot, hand , knee during first batter.  The chest shot, although sucking, was rather funny.  Was the sixth inning and the catcher had gone to talk to his pitcher about signs as the batteries in the games have never worked together. Anyway, all the participants of the game have noticed that I have taken a real beating this game and the lead off batter mentioned it to me. I replied that it sure was a bad day to be a plate umpire and we had a good chuckle about it.  First pitch fast ball, first pitch foul ball directly into my upper right chest. Just drilled me.  Luckily I was wearing my FM4000Mag and didn't take a shot to the head.  I know I was so sore that night I couldn't sleep.  What a sucky day to be a plate umpire.

48 minutes ago, blue32 said:

Nobody likes a whiner Stu!

I know and today I'm not whining because I didn't take a single hit.  Scouts who were at Wednesday's game asked me if I had healed yet.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...
15 minutes ago, bluetick48 said:

Can a MAG be Powder Coated?  

Short answer is yes.  Mag wheels are powder-coated all the time.  The problem is the shop has to be set up for them.  Magnesium is more difficult to powder-coat than steel.  If too hot, then they can either melt/explode, but they can be done. 

Mask-It isn't set up for the process, so that's why many think they cannot be done.  If you check around, there are shops who can coat them though.