Jump to content

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
redroofwoodworker

Play at the plate..... He's gotta slide!?!

Recommended Posts

For Missouri high school umpires.  Does a runner HAVE to slide if there is a play at the plate?  I have had several fans comment on this in the past but I don't pay them any mind.  I had a high school coach say something to me this summer about a play at the plate though, so I though maybe I should ask.  I can not find in the book where it says that a runner has to slide.  In fact, I have found where the rule book state that runners never have to slide (rule 8-4-2b).  If they create an interference situation by not sliding, that is different subject.  I'm also looking for malicious contact if they don't slide (there wasn't any).  

I had R3 and R2.  Batter hits a ground ball to third.  R3 takes off for home.  Throw goes to the catcher.  R3, realizing that he just signed up for a good ole' southern Missouri butt chewing in the dug out,  starts walking.  Catcher runs up the line to tag R3 but can't make the throw in time to get R2 going to third.  Coach comes out and wants the out at third due to interference on R3 for not sliding.  My judgement was that there was no play at the plate.  The catcher tagged the runner well before the cut out.

I know there is a lot of bleed over from little league about having to slide.  Parents don't realize rules change as the kids move up in level.  I have just never had a coach say something to me about it.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
38 minutes ago, redroofwoodworker said:

I know there is a lot of bleed over from little league about having to slide. 

 

Don't know Fed, but it didn't bleed over from LL.  Don't have to slide...ever, there.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No rule set has a must slide rule. It’s slide or attempt to avoid contact. 

 

If the runner  just stood and let himself be tagged he did nothing to be called for interference.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"giving up"is a legal alternative for R3. He may also stop, and retreat to 3B. Ask the coach if that's INT?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, redroofwoodworker said:

For Missouri high school umpires.  Does a runner HAVE to slide if there is a play at the plate?  I have had several fans comment on this in the past but I don't pay them any mind.  I had a high school coach say something to me this summer about a play at the plate though, so I though maybe I should ask.  I can not find in the book where it says that a runner has to slide.  In fact, I have found where the rule book state that runners never have to slide (rule 8-4-2b).  If they create an interference situation by not sliding, that is different subject.  I'm also looking for malicious contact if they don't slide (there wasn't any).  

I had R3 and R2.  Batter hits a ground ball to third.  R3 takes off for home.  Throw goes to the catcher.  R3, realizing that he just signed up for a good ole' southern Missouri butt chewing in the dug out,  starts walking.  Catcher runs up the line to tag R3 but can't make the throw in time to get R2 going to third.  Coach comes out and wants the out at third due to interference on R3 for not sliding.  My judgement was that there was no play at the plate.  The catcher tagged the runner well before the cut out.

I know there is a lot of bleed over from little league about having to slide.  Parents don't realize rules change as the kids move up in level.  I have just never had a coach say something to me about it.  

 

I think he is trying to blend youth baseball house rules and the NFHS FPSR all in to one big steaming pot of stupid in an attempt to try to confuse the umpires and get a gifted out call. 

A runner NEVER has to slide... Only if they do choose to slide, they must do so legally. If they choose not to slide they can't alter the play by a defender through another illegal act. Making a defender come to you as a runner to tag you doesn't qualify as that. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, JSam21 said:

one big steaming pot of stupid

That can't smell good.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Specks said:

That can't smell good.

Some people like somethings...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/7/2018 at 8:30 PM, stkjock said:

No rule set has a must slide rule. It’s slide or attempt to avoid contact. 

 

LL is slide or attempt to get around (NOT avoid contact) a fielder who has the ball and is waiting to make the tag.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know that certain leagues will have 'house rules' that include a 'must slide' rule. Some boards like to think they are making the game safer, when in fact its just the opposite. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×