Joe Girardi thinks umpires should call balls and strikes from behind the mound.

MikeSafari
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2070 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I saw this and I agree that this was a filler segment. I cant imaging any ex-MLB catcher and Manager would support it. One of the points he pressed is that it gives the Umpire a better view of in and out. Point taken, but this just addressed the incident of the day.......which was Angel Hernandez calling out Rizzo on a pitch outside the zone.

The mound is not the place for an Umpire to call any serious baseball....  

I have done multiple games this way do to emergency / injury etc. Heck at lower levels here if there is no umpire, the coaches take turns from behind the mound. 

Given a choice of choose behind the catcher and no coach has suggested that boss view from the mound was better. 

3 hours ago, Rich Ives said:

Have any of you tried it for long enough to get a feel for it? 

As a MLB catcher he has a pretty good feel for seeing the zone.

As an MLB catcher and a graduate of Northwestern he knows better. That piece was garbage filler. There's no way Joe believes this. The whole idea of seeing when a  ball going 95 mph reaches the front edge of the plate when you're 75+ feet away with a 6'4"  210lb F1 blocking your view gives you a better look than the slot is just insane. 

No worries. Joe will soon be back on the bench in St Louis and he Won't  have to worry about MLB network producers giving him BS diamond demos to do. 

Joe West responded with a bit of snark about Girardi's time as a player ("While it would probably have been safer to call balls and strikes behind the mound when Girardi was catching, we prefer to stay behind the plate to keep our 97.3% average"). I ran the #s on Girardi's ejections as NYY Manager for ball/strike calls and the umps were still right 75% of the time that he got tossed - five total incorrect ball/strike calls that led to an ejection in 10 years.

https://www.closecallsports.com/2018/08/joe-west-greets-girardis-ump-proposal.html

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Rich Ives said:

Have any of you tried it for long enough to get a feel for it? 

As a MLB catcher he has a pretty good feel for seeing the zone.

No he doesn't. He has a BIASED view!

15 minutes ago, HokieUmp said:

Counterpoint:  Joe Girardi is a doofus.

I don't believe that. I watched him for too long here in NY.

I really think he was told "Here's the diamond demo we're doing. Here's your part."

If I'm wrong, your counterpoint is correct.

On 8/8/2018 at 1:37 PM, Richvee said:

As an MLB catcher and a graduate of Northwestern he knows better. That piece was garbage filler. There's no way Joe believes this. The whole idea of seeing when a  ball going 95 mph reaches the front edge of the plate when you're 75+ feet away with a 6'4"  210lb F1 blocking your view gives you a better look than the slot is just insane. 

No worries. Joe will soon be back on the bench in St Louis and he Won't  have to worry about MLB network producers giving him BS diamond demos to do. 

Us Cardinal fans can only pray.

9 hours ago, Richvee said:

It makes sense. You can do a lot worse, that's for sure 

I only wish that Matheney had a bigger boot to go up against some of the player's back sides.  By far the dumbest bunch of base running I've ever seen out of a Cardinal's team and I've been watching the Birds since the early 1960's.  Just the whole mental approach of these guys sucks this year.

13 hours ago, Richvee said:

I don't believe that. I watched him for too long here in NY.

I really think he was told "Here's the diamond demo we're doing. Here's your part."

If I'm wrong, your counterpoint is correct.

Maybe so.  But there's a certain melodic feel to that sentence, so I will stand by it on those grounds, if nothing else.

On ‎8‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 12:06 AM, Richvee said:

It makes sense. You can do a lot worse, that's for sure 

Well the results lately may or may not be because of him but the "new Mike" seems to be doing OK.

11 hours ago, stl_ump said:

Well the results lately may or may not be because of him but the "new Mike" seems to be doing OK.

yup. He probably deserves the job for the turn around he'd accomplished in such a short time. .