It is all Angel's Fault

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2080 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

If it was not an MLB guy calling that pitch I might make a comment about needing to track the ball all the way to the glove.

Since it was an MLB guy, I will not make such a comment.

11 minutes ago, Kevin_K said:

If it was not an MLB guy calling that pitch I might make a comment about needing to track the ball all the way to the glove.

Since it was an MLB guy, I will not make such a comment.

I still will never understand this.  Saying an MLB umpire missed a call won't send you to HELL or anything.  Geeeez ......

No one is crucifying AH, ...the fact of the matter is simple, ... it happens / pitches and calls are missed.  At this level, you typically don't see that strike called. That's all it is ... we can say that folks, you know why ...because we do this too, we umpire and we know things can get missed, it's part of the territory.  It doesn't matter who they are, it's gonna happen :nod: 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, maven said:

"Hernandez’s call wasn’t to blame for the Cubs losing and splitting a four-game series with the worst team in the National League. A poor five-inning performance by Jon Lester, who gave up five runs on eight hits while striking out one, was a big factor."

Uh, ya think?

And that was one of three strikes for Rizzo.  Hell, I just read an article claiming the Cubs got jobbed and Rizzo struck out to end the game with two runners on.

1 hour ago, Thunderheads said:

@Gil .... what does the brooks box say about this last pitch just out of curiosity?

Thanks!

The relevant # from MLB GD is px -1.154. Using our site's Kulpa cutoff of .914 as reference, the pitch was located 2.88 horizontal inches from being deemed a correct call.

1 hour ago, Gil said:

The relevant # from MLB GD is px -1.154. Using our site's Kulpa cutoff of .914 as reference, the pitch was located 2.88 horizontal inches from being deemed a correct call.

I have to so this.  The call was incorrect.

3 hours ago, grayhawk said:

Way too much has been made out of one pitch in a 10-6 ball game.

It's like a slump to start the season - people pay more attention to the start and end.

Media here's been running a "best of Angel Hernandez" clip that includes him tossing Bears' legend Steve McMichael out after the 7th inning stretch.

3 hours ago, udbrky said:

Media here's been running a "best of Angel Hernandez" clip that includes him tossing Bears' legend Steve McMichael out after the 7th inning stretch.

Which wasn't even Angel's ejection. It was Randy Marsh who ordered McMichael removed. Angel simply stared into the press box.

55 minutes ago, Gil said:

Which wasn't even Angel's ejection. It was Randy Marsh who ordered McMichael removed. Angel simply stared into the press box.

Yeah, it was just a big package of times when Angel and Chicago teams butted heads. I did always laugh at that one.