F2-only Putout On U3K?

MadMax
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2056 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

OBR, but would love to hear if this actually occurs in NCAA and/or Fed as well. We may need @Senor Azul and the rest of the Citation Conclave to comb the books, manuals, and interpretations for this one...

To preface, I was told this by a catcher (F2) who was catching during a game wherein my colleague crew called this. I’ve been examining the Rules book (I have no access to Manuals at this time), and I’ve found no indication, either way, to its validity...

Outs not important, but 1B is unoccupied. U3K on a clean swing. Ball is blocked by F2 and deflected into fair territory (this is supposedly important). According to the situation and call told to me, only the F2 can retrieve the ball and retire BR by tag or by putout (throw) to F3. If any other fielder picks it up (such as F1) and throws to 1B, then BR is not to be called Out.

Has anyone heard of anything like this? I’ll be consulting the crew-in-question in the next few days when we blend the crews together for the postseason.

2 minutes ago, MadMax said:

According to the situation and call told to me, only the F2 can retrieve the ball and retire BR by tag or by putout (throw) to F3.

That's false in all codes, and AFAIK has never been the rule (except some particular umpire's MSU book).

• Thanks 1

Maybe they're confusing it with the foul tip rule. A foul tip has to be caught by F2. Some years back, FED changed this, as they had a case play where B1 fouls it back, directly off F2's mitt, ball deflects out to F1 who catches it in the air. Used to be a foul tip..Not anymore. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MadMax said:

OBR, but would love to hear if this actually occurs in NCAA and/or Fed as well. We may need @Senor Azul and the rest of the Citation Conclave to comb the books, manuals, and interpretations for this one...

This rule applies to BOTH D3K and a fair batted ball.  No one (I think) forces "only F2" to field the batted ball.  So, no one should force only F2 to field the ball on a D3K.

(10) After a third strike or after he hits a fair ball, he or first
base is tagged before he touches first base;

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Richvee said:

Maybe they're confusing it with the foul tip rule. A foul tip has to be caught by F2. Some years back, FED changed this, as they had a case play where B1 fouls it back, directly off F2's mitt, ball deflects out to F1 who catches it in the air. Used to be a foul tip..Not anymore. 

Kind of what I was thinking