Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
Thunderheads

Gerry Davis's mask

Gerry Davis has a royal blue pad under his mask, between his mask and cap....looks like padding at least.....maybe in lieu of a hard hat?? Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
7 minutes ago, Thunderheads said:

Gerry Davis has a royal blue pad under his mask, between his mask and cap....looks like padding at least.....maybe in lieu of a hard hat?? Thoughts?

What game is he working?

What game is he working?
Tigers _ A's

3 minutes ago, Thunderheads said:

Tigers _ A's

Watching it and have no idea what it is.  At first glace thought it might be a kewl towel, but it's definitely some type of padding. Now my OCD is kicking in.  Gotta go wash my hands again.

• Like 1

I sent a message on FB asking what it is.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

They say is is a product called Brain Shield which helps with concussions.  Not on their web site yet, but will be on it and their FB page soon.

• Like 1

I can't find anything about it on the web.

I can't find anything about it on the web.
Me neither

I did find this on MLB.com/video of the Tiger game last Friday night ...I was able to capture this .........

image.png

• Like 1

John Tumpane is wearing the same thing in tonight's Brewers vs Braves game.  

• Like 1

Like [mention=678]umpstu[/mention] said......It appears to me that it is a protective layer that goes over the upper pad to help reduce concussion possibilities

On 8/7/2018 at 5:06 AM, Thunderheads said:

I did find this on MLB.com/video of the Tiger game last Friday night ...I was able to capture this .........

image.png

I just saw this now, so thanks for posting.  Definitely for concussion issues.

Do we have any other information on this? Material, perhaps? 
Nothing yet it appears

4 hours ago, Stk004 said:

Do we have any other information on this? Material, perhaps? 

4 ply, multi-strand, cross-oriented and fully bonded unobtainium. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

This is really interesting. However, Don't most concussions happen when struck around the chin area? I realize that they can happen as a result of sustaining an impact to any part of your mask but I was under the impression that the "kill zone" was around the chin area. So it seems as if this extra pad wouldn't stop the majority of impacts that result in concussions ( just my uninformed opinion)

13 minutes ago, grk17 said:

This is really interesting. However, Don't most concussions happen when struck around the chin area? I realize that they can happen as a result of sustaining an impact to any part of your mask but I was under the impression that the "kill zone" was around the chin area. So it seems as if this extra pad wouldn't stop the majority of impacts that result in concussions ( just my uninformed opinion)

I got my major concussion from one right at the chin. I’m not sure what the science is behind it, but I can tell you that I’ve taken many to the forehead area and never felt the way I did after that chin shot

1 hour ago, tpatience said:

I got my major concussion from one right at the chin. I’m not sure what the science is behind it, but I can tell you that I’ve taken many to the forehead area and never felt the way I did after that chin shot

Does “take one on the chin” ring a bell to anyone? I don’t know the physics behind it but if I take one to the chin my mask will rotate around my head and lesson the impact. Barring, of course, the perfect vector. But loose masks save ships. Other than the spring things. 

I see zero science on that thing per the website. None. 

As opposed to the Team Wendy gear. 

BTW, I owned a Davishield for one day, and they wouldn't take it back. But I did warn you all about it (you're welcome)

Just sayin'. 

Oh, and when you get a shot that spins your mask off, it's because it didn't catch you square. It's those square shots, the ones where the ball just drops at your feet, that ring your bell, and cause the most damage.