Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
MadMax

What Additions That 6-man Builds Upon 4-man

Our League will be doing 6-man deployment for the Championship series. I’m familiar with 4-man; and I’m aware that with the two OF Umpires, there is no longer a need for U1 or U3 to go out. However, I have a few minor questions as to what U2 should do in a few situations...

With bases empty, U2’s IP is outside. Fly ball... U2 only has to center / F8, right? And with U2 staying out, U3 dashes in to 2B, setting up a potential Rotation, correct?

Now, with R3 only, in 4-man, U2 returns to being outside, but (MLB) trainers have been instructing U2 to be positioned more towards 3B. This is to have U2 slide in and take 3B and R3 should U3 be forced to follow the ball and/or go out. However, with the 2 OF Umpires of 6-man, U3 doesn’t have to go out (or follow an overthrow), right? So where should U2 go? Back to “normal” IP?

I know UR and UL never come in, nor do they call OBS or INT; they also never call IFF, or balks.

Am I missing anything else?

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

From what I've been taught, U2 would only make that move on a bang bang trouble ball............maybe a dead sprint straight in by F8 for a below the knee running/sliding catch that he has the best view of (in which the Umpire at 3rd would rotate to 2B, HP to 3rd, etc.. 

Other than that, I believe they use Left out, Right in.  LF umpire has F8 moving towards him.....or going back.  RF Umpire has F8 towards him or going in.

I could be mistooken ............... but when in doubt PREGAME IT.

This is the way that I have worked in 6-man in the past - If U2 is out, he has the "V", the same as in a 4-man. U3 does slide, and I have seen systems that have had PU slide up and even seen the LU slide down if the ball is in RF (this can get confusing). R3 - U3 has the tag-up (no OF responsibility), then can still slide unless the ball is hit deep (more confusion on what is deep).

The easiest way I have worked with R3 is - treat it like a 3-man. If U2 stays out, then U1 takes the BR into 2B. No one has to figure if the ball is deep or not. If the ball is down a line, then the problem is fixed as U2 comes in.

I have also seen that U2 has no OF responsibility and comes in on everything. What is the sense of having U2 in the OF at all?

Pre-game is the key to working these details out.