Softball

Guest Woodenmig
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2084 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Guest Woodenmig

Question is the fence running down third base line has pulled up from the ground .... a player throws the ball to the third basemen to make a play .... he misses it and the ball rolls under the fence ... does the runners get to advance another base due to the fact that the ball has gone out of play? The fence was like this at the start of the game .

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

Yes, it would be like any other throw where the ball goes out of play - under the fence, over the fence, through the fence, or no fence - two bases from time of throw.

Unless there was some specific ground rule to do with that field due to the fence/field being in disrepair - typically that's not the case.

On 7/31/2018 at 5:48 PM, beerguy55 said:

Yes, it would be like any other throw where the ball goes out of play - under the fence, over the fence, through the fence, or no fence - two bases from time of throw.

Unless there was some specific ground rule to do with that field due to the fence/field being in disrepair - typically that's not the case.

I believe softball is the same as baseball here...if it is the first throw by an infielder, it would be 2 bases from time of pitch.

I sit corrected. @beerguy55 is 100% right and I’m not.:smachhead:

Edited by LMSANS
Wrong answer.

1 hour ago, LMSANS said:

I believe softball is the same as baseball here...if it is the first throw by an infielder, it would be 2 bases from time of pitch.

Though it may be different in other codes, I know that International Federation Softball Rules, as well as Softball Canada, do not have the time of pitch provision for infielder plays.  And I am pretty sure ASA does not have it either.

From "Official Rules of Softball" - 8-7f

f. When the ball is in play and is overthrown (beyond the boundary lines) or is blocked.

EFFECT – Sec. 7f: All runners, including the batter-runner, shall be awarded two bases, and the award will be governed by the position of the runners when the ball left the fielder's hand. Runners may return to touch a base left too soon on a caught fly ball, or a missed base. If two runners are between the same bases, the award is based on the position of the lead runner.

EXCEPTION:

1. When a fielder loses possession of the ball such as on an attempted tag, and the ball enters the dead ball area or becomes blocked, each runner is awarded one base from the last base touched at the time the ball entered the dead ball area or became blocked.

2. If a runner touches the next base and returns to his original base, the original base he left is considered the "last base touched'' for purposes of an overthrow award.

3. If the ball becomes blocked due to offensive team equipment, the ball is ruled dead and runners are returned to the last base touched at the time of the blocked ball. If the blocked ball prevented the defense from making a play, the runner being played on is called out. (If this player has scored prior to the blocked ball being ruled, the runner closest to home is called out).