Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
jdense

Experimental Mechanic for tag plays at home

The word through the grapevine is there may be a change coming in CCA handbook regarding proper mechanics for tag plays at home. IMHO this is a much improved angle to take the play from. 

Angle.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

Yes, but now you have the issue of dirty umpire uniforms.

I took a play at 3rd from that position once....it's hard for parents to complain when they're laughing..

• Like 1

I did a face-plant right in front of home plate at a HS game this year. Catcher's foot tripped me up as I went past him to get a closer look at play at first base (solo game).  I called the out from my belly amidst the laughter. :)

• Haha 1

I would recommend keeping your mask on in this position!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Aging_Arbiter said:

I would recommend AGAINST this position to begin with

I don't think it's a position that one begins with.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Stk004 said:

So nobody's gonna ask how he got there? 

Must slide rule?

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

The only issue I see with this positioning is that if the play explodes on you, getting a new view of the play may be difficult. However, since home is level with the ground typically, this positioning allows for the umpire to truly see if the foot of the offensive player actually touched the plate versus hovered over it. We will now be able to determining safe or out on the tag at the plate with much higher accuracy.

Don't laugh. There actually was a play where an MLB home plate umpire had a fair/foul call up the 1st base line and potential runner's lane interference, and had to return to the plate to take the play there. He fell, and made the call from the ground. Spoiler alert: he got the call right. Close Call Sports called his position the "Worm position". I'd probably call this the same. 

ok, I feel like I've beat this guy up enough.  I'll leave this topic with a short story.

Some years back, I was doing an early spring game (LL) on Saturday morning.  A bit of "comfortable" in the air.  It was almost perfect weather with a bit of dew left on the grass that had not yet evaporated.  My partner on the bases (FEMALE), came in to pivot and take the runner to 2B.   Well, when she set up for the call, her trailing foot stopped, but lead foot did not.  She ended up doing the splits, never took her eye off of the play, and made the correct call.  Even though the runner was out, she received a standing ovation from both teams and fans.