Experimental Mechanic for tag plays at home

jdense
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2066 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I did a face-plant right in front of home plate at a HS game this year. Catcher's foot tripped me up as I went past him to get a closer look at play at first base (solo game).  I called the out from my belly amidst the laughter. :)

• Haha 1

The only issue I see with this positioning is that if the play explodes on you, getting a new view of the play may be difficult. However, since home is level with the ground typically, this positioning allows for the umpire to truly see if the foot of the offensive player actually touched the plate versus hovered over it. We will now be able to determining safe or out on the tag at the plate with much higher accuracy.

Don't laugh. There actually was a play where an MLB home plate umpire had a fair/foul call up the 1st base line and potential runner's lane interference, and had to return to the plate to take the play there. He fell, and made the call from the ground. Spoiler alert: he got the call right. Close Call Sports called his position the "Worm position". I'd probably call this the same. 

ok, I feel like I've beat this guy up enough.  I'll leave this topic with a short story.

Some years back, I was doing an early spring game (LL) on Saturday morning.  A bit of "comfortable" in the air.  It was almost perfect weather with a bit of dew left on the grass that had not yet evaporated.  My partner on the bases (FEMALE), came in to pivot and take the runner to 2B.   Well, when she set up for the call, her trailing foot stopped, but lead foot did not.  She ended up doing the splits, never took her eye off of the play, and made the correct call.  Even though the runner was out, she received a standing ovation from both teams and fans.