Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
Zach Keller

Shin guards question

Has anyone tried Damascus Gear DNSG-B Neoprene Knee/Shin Guards? I’m wanting protection and low profile but I don’t want to pay for the F3’s 

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

I saw your post also on Facebook (welcome to a much better and informative group here). I would be curious as to the makeup of the interior parts of those? If it is just padding? Or is there plastic? 

Another thing to think about... will they go down to the height of your shoes? Also, and from an answer given to you on FB, the hockey shin guards have issues with ankle protection that we need as umpires need.

Just things to keep in mind.

1 hour ago, iufanatic81 said:

I’m wanting protection and low profile but I don’t want to pay for the F3’s 

I have these questions four:

1. What level of ball are you calling?
  2. Do you have actual plate shoes (and if yes, which ones)?
  3. What’s your target, budgeted price?
  4. What length/size do you need?

I’m calling baseball Varsity and below

i do have high top plate shoes not sure what brand

From my knee to the top of my shoes measures 15.5” and is like to stay under $50 for a pair if possible. 

Shin guards get the least amount of attention and are the least costly of our gear to buy.  However, I would be willing to bet that my shin guards get hit more often then any other item.  If $50 is your price point I would look at the Honigs K-2010 models.  I wore these for several years and never had an issue.  They are a little bulky but, they are bomb proof.  They even come in multiple lengths.  These are built like tanks and close to your price point ($63).  I wouldn't do anything above wiffle ball with what you posted.  Call me tender but, I don't like to get hurt if I can avoid it.        

https://honigs.com/honig-s-elite-2010-leg-guards-reg.html

• Like 3

19 hours ago, iufanatic81 said:

They’re made specifically for police. They say it’s polyurethane foam underneath the neoprene 

Yeh... I'm running way from these FAST.

Save up another game fee or two and do yourself a favor and get the force 3's. This first time you take a 80MPH varsity fastball to your new F3's you'll never question the extra bucks you spent on them.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, boyinr said:

Note that the UA description reads: "This is a great umpire shin guard for lower levels, softball or just those who prefer light weight, less bulkier shin guards. It is less protective than others; but, designed that way so that it's much lighter." [My emphasis.] No wonder catsbackr retired them.

On the UA website, these are well within your price range: https://www.ump-attire.com/Baseball-Umpire-Equipment/Gear-Footwear/Shin-Guards/DLG_Diamond-Umpire-Shin-Guards I don't vouch for them, however, as I wear Force 3s.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, LRZ said:

Note that the UA description reads: "This is a great umpire shin guard for lower levels, softball or just those who prefer light weight, less bulkier shin guards. It is less protective than others; but, designed that way so that it's much lighter." [My emphasis.] No wonder catsbackr retired them.

On the UA website, these are well within your price range: https://www.ump-attire.com/Baseball-Umpire-Equipment/Gear-Footwear/Shin-Guards/DLG_Diamond-Umpire-Shin-Guards I don't vouch for them, however, as I wear Force 3s.

I have worn these and they are super-light and comfortable.  I just upgraded to F3's as well.  Starting this summer, I saw some Sr. Legion players throwing mid-80's and I took one off of these Ump-Lite shin-guards.  While I can't say that it truly hurt me, and it did not leave any bruises or discoloration, but it didn't feel good and I was conscious of having a case of "happy feet" whenever one short-hopped the catcher the rest of the game.  

My recommendation is to spend the extra money and buy what you know will protect you. It is much easier to stand-in and take a hit when you know that you have the right level of protection.  If you buy cheap gear, then you'll be more apt to flinch when one comes close possibly causing you to miss something (and at the very least hurting your image to all who saw you).

• Like 2

On 7/30/2018 at 12:43 AM, iufanatic81 said:

Z3GO0ufo5oy.JPG

There have been some good comments here already.

@BT_Blue alluded to it, but for starting umpires out there who come across and read this later, be aware that as an umpire, in most cases, your stance is not squarely forward facing. Especially the closer to your shoes you go, the more your legs will open up (and the more they might as you go through a game as you fatigue).

So you need at least “something” protection-wise around the inner sides of your legs. THIS does not have it.

In your case, you have more than 1 option suggested above in the $50 and under range that is much better for you than the one in the photo. Good luck (BTW - we have a thorough but terribly boring shin guard buying guide you can find on our site. It is so boring I am not even going to link to it. Read at your own risk.)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've taken a couple off the ankle and have been glad to have the protection there. I wear low plate shoes, but a foul ball will find your ankle eventually and I don't think your plate shoes will do enough on their own. 

• Like 1

On 7/29/2018 at 10:43 PM, iufanatic81 said:

Z3GO0ufo5oy.JPG

Seriously, go on Ebay and buy shin guards that are actually made for umpires.  There are a metric butt ton of new and used products from All Star, Wilson, Honigs, Champro, etc. to choose from.  Spend your money on something that will provide the necessary protection you will need.  Keep in mind that if you are just starting out, even doing high school varsity ball you don't exactly have the greatest catchers in the world, so you're going to take some shots.  I know, this past spring I took a shot on a Wednesday where I had to have my wedding band cut off in an emergency room and then two days later took a foul ball off my instep which put me in a walking boot for a week. Did the Friday game one man as my partner didn't show up.  The meaning of this post is to get umpire gear.   https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=wilson+umpire+shin+guards&_sacat=0

13 minutes ago, Aging_Arbiter said:

..............it's an industry term

Madmax could probably explain it to us much better.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Agree with all said above. I bought the F3's a couple years back and they are by far the best ive ever tried. Comfortable, stays in place, and you don't feel a thing when you take a shot head on.

The diamond lites do not offer enough protection. I took a  straight shot in a game, and immediately retired them. It almost dropped me.

Save up the money and only buy a pair once, it is worth it.

• Like 2

On 7/31/2018 at 10:53 AM, catsbackr said:

You will get hurt in these.  I tried them, used them 1 game and retired them.

Quite possibly true in higher-level baseball.  When it comes to softball, though, I've used them at all levels and I love them.

1 hour ago, CJK said:

Quite possibly true in higher-level baseball.  When it comes to softball, though, I've used them at all levels and I love them.

It ain't possible, it's a fact.

37 minutes ago, catsbackr said:

It ain't possible, it's a fact.

No, that's an opinion. I've used those same shin guards for years and they work fine for varsity and below. Took several balls off a 14u pitcher pitching 90s off of them. Didn't feel a thing. Had two other pairs, expensive pairs, and felt every shot even on kids ball. I personally can't compare them to something like the f3s because I haven't tried them but diamond shin guards are perfectly adequate for hs and lower ball at that price point.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Tksjewelry said:

No, that's an opinion. I've used those same shin guards for years and they work fine for varsity and below. Took several balls off a 14u pitcher pitching 90s off of them. Didn't feel a thing. Had two other pairs, expensive pairs, and felt every shot even on kids ball. I personally can't compare them to something like the f3s because I haven't tried them but diamond shin guards are perfectly adequate for hs and lower ball at that price point.

Again, it's an absolute FACT!  I was the one that got hurt in the game.  So, it ain't no opinion.  I never said everyone would get hurt.

And, 14U throwing 90?  Yeah, right.