My best side makes the newspaper (working the AL state championship game)

lawump
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2042 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

2 minutes ago, Jimurray said:

That reminds me. I'm going to have to pull a little more shirt out from under the belt for a proper bloused look. And, is that a softball shirt:D

LOL, but that’s the shirt you get from Legion’s national office if you go to a regional or World Series.  When in Rome...

17 hours ago, lawump said:

but that’s the shirt you get from Legion’s national office

Ah, American Legion ball... possibly the biggest boulder mired in the mud of mediocrity and “traditionalism”. What a roadblock.

Ah, American Legion ball... possibly the biggest boulder mired in the mud of mediocrity and “traditionalism”. What a roadblock.

I worked a AAA state in a place where I don't live and I was amazed at how much the coaches thought their you-know-what didn't stink and how horribly they treated all the umpires.

When it came time for the final, I was happy to give the plate job to a local guy who seemed to care. Then watched him eject one of the coaches over something truly stupid.

I'll admit, though, the baseball was decent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Jimurray said:

Which is bigger FED or Legion? Would you care to elaborate?

Oh, Fed is assuredly larger by size and participants, but at least there’s an “out clause” within the Rulebook – they leave it up to the individual states to determine any additional modifications or uniform specs. All that’s given is that the default uniform, barring any state spec, is “navy” (do note, that could be any navy polo shirt, from plain to 2010 single stripe). And they say “grey” pants. 

On 7/28/2018 at 4:03 PM, MadMax said:

I love working Legion; especially now that they've gone to seven innings.  I'm a traditionalist.  I like working OBR (with only a few modifications...such as the NCAA force play slide rule and collision rule).  And they treat you like a king at the World Series.  There isn't an MLB umpire locker room that has a bigger spread than what the provide us!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 7/30/2018 at 7:51 AM, lawump said:

I love working Legion; especially now that they've gone to seven innings.  I'm a traditionalist.  I like working OBR (with only a few modifications...such as the NCAA force play slide rule and collision rule).  And they treat you like a king at the World Series.  There isn't an MLB umpire locker room that has a bigger spread than what the provide us!

Going back to 7s, may have saved legion baseball. 

• Like 1

On 9/12/2018 at 9:19 PM, johnnyg08 said:

Going back to 7s, may have saved legion baseball. 

I totally understand the reasons for wanting to do 9 ("hey... that is real baseball! Not this 7 inning BS!") But none of these kids that play Legion are used to having to go 9 full. Let alone in a tournament situation with pitch counts, days of rest requirements, and limited roster spots.

7 is a much more reasonable number. And we have ALL been in that situation where you play 9 and both teams run out of pitching in the 5th!:bang:

• Like 1

22 hours ago, BT_Blue said:

I totally understand the reasons for wanting to do 9 ("hey... that is real baseball! Not this 7 inning BS!") But none of these kids that play Legion are used to having to go 9 full. Let alone in a tournament situation with pitch counts, days of rest requirements, and limited roster spots.

7 is a much more reasonable number. And we have ALL been in that situation where you play 9 and both teams run out of pitching in the 5th!:bang:

Esp on the wrestlebacks. It was so un-fun I didn't work any legion playoffs the last few years. It was actually fun again this year. 

• Like 1