Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
AL-Ump

How do you pack you're hard shell CP?

Just a quick question - I just purchased a Schutt HDX CP and am transitioning from a Honig's SB chest protector.  The Honig's folds up 3 ways and fits very easily into the top of my Force 3 rolling bag.

1249878808_HonigCP.jpg.eaedf9a485ee76168e16054e4790770d.jpg

I can't figure out how to put this hard shell beast into my bag to transport with the rest of my equipment.  I know one of the guys I call with has it on a coat hanger and totes it around like a shirt.  Is that how most of you all do it?

Again - SB guy here so I'm just learning this stuff for the first time.  Thanks for your help.

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

I have a Diamond 33". CP, 2 masks and SG's in the top zippered compartment.. Masks on the bottom, nest the shins, CP on top. Play with it a bit.  It's like a puzzle only everyone puts it together a little different. 

I lay my CP flat on the bottom of my gear bag then just put stuff on top of it. Typically shin guards, sometimes a clean pair of base shoes. Typically a mask next to the bottom of my CP. Obviously it depends on your gear bag and how much equipment you have. There's no rhyme or reason to it, just as long as you're organized and ready to go. 

Since I live out of my car, all my stuff gets thrown in the back of my traverse like a heathen until the next game.:fuel:

I was waiting for a question like this!

I purchased and use the Fül Workhorse for my rolling, split-level gear bag. Like the Force3, it comes in at the required 62 linear-inch (height+width+depth) imposed by the airline industry for checked bags without incurring an oversized fee. The Workhorse is taller than the Force3, but narrower, but it and its Fül Hybrid sibling have a significant advantage over many other split-level rolling duffles – a hard-cast lower tub, which prevents sagging and resists the “spine break” that befalls many other gear bags.

So here’s how I pack it:

1. Uniform pants and shirts get folded and placed evenly in the lower tub section.
  2. Convertible jackets are rolled and secured with rubber bands and placed in available spaces, as are undershirts.
  3. Compression shorts are folded, and socks are placed in available spaces.  Ball bags are also placed here.
  4. If a heavier jacket (ThermaBase) is needed, it is folded in the best way possible and placed atop the this layer. 
  5. The upper section is closed atop the lower and zipped shut.
  6. The Schutt XV CP is laid, outer side down, at the bottom of this section. It is encouraged to curl back on itself.
  7. Force3 Ultimate Shinguards are nested together and laid down the center. 
  8. I am able to pack three masks in around the shinguards, but routinely and habitually bring two.
  9. Hats are folded and placed bill-down in available space in the main compartment. Belts are rolled and placed within available space here, too.
  10. The bag features two end compartments, one deeper than the other. In the shallower one, the plate shoes are wrapped in cotton bags and packed.
  11. In the deeper end compartment, all accessories – sun screen, bug spray, tape, tools, polish, spare laces – are packed and topped off with base shoes. A hard eyeglass case holds Oakley Flak Jackets.
  12. There is a side pocket, and into this goes my UL lineup card holder, pens, plate brush, and stopwatch. If I had (an) indicator(s), this is an ideal place for it.
  • Like 1

On 7/25/2018 at 12:55 PM, MadMax said:

I purchased and use the Fül Workhorse for my rolling, split-level gear bag. Like the Force3, it comes in at the required 62 linear-inch (height+width+depth) imposed by the airline industry for checked bags without incurring an oversized fee. The Workhorse is taller than the Force3, but narrower, but it and its Fül Hybrid sibling have a significant advantage over many other split-level rolling duffles – a hard-cast lower tub, which prevents sagging and resists the “spine break” that befalls many other gear bags.

So here’s how I pack it:

1. Uniform pants and shirts get folded and placed evenly in the lower tub section.
  2. Convertible jackets are rolled and secured with rubber bands and placed in available spaces, as are undershirts.
  3. Compression shorts are folded, and socks are placed in available spaces.  Ball bags are also placed here.
  4. If a heavier jacket (ThermaBase) is needed, it is folded in the best way possible and placed atop the this layer. 
  6. The Schutt XV CP is laid, outer side down, at the bottom of this section. It is encouraged to curl back on itself.
  8. I am able to pack three masks in around the shinguards, but routinely and habitually bring two.
  9. Hats are folded and placed bill-down in available space in the main compartment. Belts are rolled and placed within available space here, too.
  10. The bag features two end compartments, one deeper than the other. In the shallower one, the plate shoes are wrapped in cotton bags and packed.
  11. In the deeper end compartment, all accessories – sun screen, bug spray, tape, tools, polish, spare laces – are packed and topped off with base shoes. A hard eyeglass case holds Oakley Flak Jackets.
  12. There is a side pocket, and into this goes my UL lineup card holder, pens, plate brush, and stopwatch. If I had (an) indicator(s), this is an ideal place for it.

Serious question about #9. How exactly do you "fold" a hat? I saw a fellow umpire have all of his hats basically folded turned inside out (not sure how to explain this). I figured this would almost ensure them wrinkling but maybe I'm wrong.

On 7/25/2018 at 12:55 PM, MadMax said:

So here’s how I pack it:

Pics please.

I have an old +POS draw string bag made for chest protectors. I spray the inside of the bag with a disinfectant, put in the c/p,  then put it my bag last, at the top. Last in, first out, as it's my baby.