Suggestions for CP?

JHong
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2075 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I’ve been needing to buy a new chest protector for weeks. I bought the diamond IX3 and was not satisfied with it. I’ve been debating the purchase for a while and thought some of you might have some input. I’m about 5,9. The two CP I’ve been considering is the 13in Champion and the Wilson Charcoal. Input or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

@JHong, the question has to be asked, why did you buy a Diamond iX3 CP? What appealed to you? Where did it fail you that you no longer want to use it?

The Champion P2xx (the 13 in. model is the P220) is the narrowest of the hardshell CPs. It utilizes a modern foam laminate as its padding vest, and a carapace layout very similar to the Gold / Power / All-American -style... just more compact. It’s a favored CP of MiLB and aspiring umpires because of its very friendly price tag and its slim, trim compactness. The lower price tag has a flaw, though, in that the plastic of the carapace plates are sometimes rather brittle and prone to cracks.

There are other suggestions and recommendations, but let’s hear what your needs and budget are.

The Wilson Charcoal will never be a suggestion. For as much as I rag on the WestVest Gold and Platinum as needlessly bulky, overhyped, overpriced, unrefined sofas, there are no redeeming qualities to justify the Charcoal’s existence. It’s even heavier, bulkier, more cumbersome... and even less refined.

• Like 3

I borrowed an iX3 once, and those things are absolute GARBAGE. The foam crushes too much, the plastic is too thin, and the plates are far enough apart it's covered in weak spots.

Don't get a Wilson CP at all. Way too bulky and hot in the summer, plus there are way better options out there as far as advanced protection and affordability.

Personally, I have the 15in. Champion off a recommendation from @MadMax and I love it! It's really light, pretty breathable, and the protection for higher veolcities is fantastic. And did I mention it's a 1/3 the price of a Wilson?! :wub: Just make sure to order it from ump-attire.com, because every once in awhile a batch of plastic is too brittle and it'll get hairline cracks. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stk004 said:

Shameless plug for the Schutt XV/Adams HDX, which is 13" with an extra skirt of padding at the bottom. 

I'm not sure the XV/MaXV/HDX is 13". I need around a 14-14.5" CP. And my MaXV more than covers me without the extension. 

50 minutes ago, BT_Blue said:

I'm not sure the XV/MaXV/HDX is 13". I need around a 14-14.5" CP. And my MaXV more than covers me without the extension. 

From Ump-Attire

• One size fits most (Measures 13" from top of neck pad to bottom of chest plate. See alternative image with 4" pad extension, included.
  • Thanks 1

On 7/21/2018 at 1:39 PM, BlueRanger said:

I borrowed an iX3 once, and those things are absolute GARBAGE. The foam crushes too much, the plastic is too thin, and the plates are far enough apart it's covered in weak spots.

Because the OP isn't specific, I think this statement needs some qualification.  I've used an iX3 at all levels of fast-pitch softball, and never once felt vulnerable.  I might wish it had a little more ventilation, but the protection is fine *for softball*.  I don't wear it to work baseball, but I can believe that the spacing of the plates would be an issue there.  The size and speed of the ball makes a big difference in the amount of energy a CP can distribute.

I know it's mostly baseball umpires here, and I respect that, but I think it's important (especially in the gear threads) to appreciate that the internet brings all kinds of umpires here, and if the site can give softball guys (like me) good gear advice for their level/sport, it's the right thing to do.  Heck, it might even be a way for you to offload some gear that's not appropriate for higher-level baseball, but just fine for all levels of softball.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, CJK said:

Because the OP isn't specific, I think this statement needs some qualification.  I've used an iX3 at all levels of fast-pitch softball, and never once felt vulnerable.  I might wish it had a little more ventilation, but the protection is fine *for softball*.  I don't wear it to work baseball, but I can believe that the spacing of the plates would be an issue there.  The size and speed of the ball makes a big difference in the amount of energy a CP can distribute.

I know it's mostly baseball umpires here, and I respect that, but I think it's important (especially in the gear threads) to appreciate that the internet brings all kinds of umpires here, and if the site can give softball guys (like me) good gear advice for their level/sport, it's the right thing to do.  Heck, it might even be a way for you to offload some gear that's not appropriate for higher-level baseball, but just fine for all levels of softball.

That's a reasonable point. I made that statement assuming we were talking about baseball, given how rare softball equipment threads are that aren't making fun of that Adams T-Shirt CP. :) I would agree that the iX3 is perfect for softball, but there are way better and cheaper options for baseball in my opinion. But thanks for bringing that up, I've never really thought about gear through a softball lens before.