Jump to content

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
crussellii

Balk-batter hits ball everyone freezes

Recommended Posts

Coaching my 13 year old team in tournament today our team playing defense, R1 only PU announces Balk, batter hits grounder threw F5 as everyone freezes. F7 throws ball back into F6, to F1. OBR rules, PU tells coach he gets choice of play or balk. Of course he takes play now has R2 and R1. I didn’t think coach had option on Balks. If BR was put out then balk would have be applied. Since BR reached safely, no balk on play. What is correct ruling on this? First time I’ve had this occur coaching and fist year umpiring. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
1 hour ago, crussellii said:

Coaching my 13 year old team in tournament today our team playing defense, R1 only PU announces Balk, batter hits grounder threw F5 as everyone freezes. F7 throws ball back into F6, to F1. OBR rules, PU tells coach he gets choice of play or balk. Of course he takes play now has R2 and R1. I didn’t think coach had option on Balks. If BR was put out then balk would have be applied. Since BR reached safely, no balk on play. What is correct ruling on this? First time I’ve had this occur coaching and fist year umpiring. 

Contgratulations!  This may be your first year umpiring but you have achieved a level of understanding of the OBR balk rule beyond the comprehension of some multi year umpires. It also is within the comprehension of many other umpires but they don't care to make the effort to learn the rules. You will have to tread lightly among your unknowing cohorts and may have to grin and bear it. You have the correct ruling. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Jimurray said:

Contgratulations!  This may be your first year umpiring but you have achieved a level of understanding of the OBR balk rule beyond the comprehension of some multi year umpires. It also is within the comprehension of many other umpires but they don't care to make the effort to learn the rules. You will have to tread lightly among your unknowing cohorts and may have to grin and bear it. You have the correct ruling. 

I wasn’t 100% certain but I don’t call out my cohorts anyways. I find myself watching mechanics and paying attention to the my peers to still trying to learn and not watching the game itself. He called a great game and his zone was consistent all game. I have a lot of respect now and coaches could learn so much more about the game if they were made to strap on gear and call sole games. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm a little confused on the OP.  It says "everyone freezes"  (which I infer as BR stayed near the plate, R1 stayed near first) but it also says the result of the play was "R1 and R2" (which I infer as not everyone freezing).

 

The correct ruling depends on what really happened

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, noumpere said:

I'm a little confused on the OP.  It says "everyone freezes"  (which I infer as BR stayed near the plate, R1 stayed near first) but it also says the result of the play was "R1 and R2" (which I infer as not everyone freezing).

 

The correct ruling depends on what really happened

i took the R1 & R2 as a result of the "play" and award by the umpires 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No the defense froze on the balk call as honestly first time any of the kids have had a balk called and a pitch hit. Once the ball went to F7, R1 advanced on the hit and BR ran to first. I should have said defense froze on balk call. No outs were made, but PU then asked Coach if he wanted to accept the play or take the balk. This was a first for me as both a coach and new umpire. At the end of the day I guess it didn’t hurt anything, but just trying to clarify rule. 

 

Umpires had it easy in our game, found out in the game after ours HC ejected in first inning, bottom of 7th kid hits inside park Grand slam, only to have R3 hop over home plate and gets called out on appeal. Out number 3 and HT loses. Player ejected, cops called. I mean this is 13U baseball, a trophy isn’t worth this kind of behavior. 

 

We lost a close game today and both teams were pleasant, not one call or play was argued. I can say in the past I’ve never really paid attention to what umpires endure in youth sports. I’m sure most of the veteran umpires on here have similar horror stories and it’s only a matter of time before I get mine. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, crussellii said:

No the defense froze on the balk call as honestly first time any of the kids have had a balk called and a pitch hit. Once the ball went to F7, R1 advanced on the hit and BR ran to first.

Then the umpire got it right but for the wrong reason.

10 hours ago, crussellii said:

it’s only a matter of time before I get mine. 

Unfortunately, that's probably true.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A lot of umpires confuse the CI and balk rules.  CI gives the coach the choice this balk does not.  But 99% of coaches are going to take the result of the play (since all runners and the batter are advancing) and ignore the balk, so it never gets pointed out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎2‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 4:24 PM, umpire_scott said:

A lot of umpires confuse the CI and balk rules.  CI gives the coach the choice this balk does not.  But 99% of coaches are going to take the result of the play (since all runners and the batter are advancing) and ignore the balk, so it never gets pointed out.

Just to clarify, no balk gives a coach a choice.  The balk is either enforced, or it's not. No options.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, MUAump2 said:

Just to clarify, no balk gives a coach a choice.  The balk is either enforced, acknowledged or ignored. No options.

Added bolded to you post

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, in Fed a balk is an immediate dead ball, right? Meaning if you call a balk and the pitcher continues with pitch and the batter crushes a HR it's a no pitch, right?  Or should you wait to call the balk until the pitch is over?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Rock Bottom said:

So, in Fed a balk is an immediate dead ball, right? Meaning if you call a balk and the pitcher continues with pitch and the batter crushes a HR it's a no pitch, right?  Or should you wait to call the balk until the pitch is over?  

Nope. Call it right away. We had one tonight. Balk. Batter swung and flew out to F8. All irrelevant after the balk. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×