Balk-batter hits ball everyone freezes

crussellii
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1808 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Coaching my 13 year old team in tournament today our team playing defense, R1 only PU announces Balk, batter hits grounder threw F5 as everyone freezes. F7 throws ball back into F6, to F1. OBR rules, PU tells coach he gets choice of play or balk. Of course he takes play now has R2 and R1. I didn’t think coach had option on Balks. If BR was put out then balk would have be applied. Since BR reached safely, no balk on play. What is correct ruling on this? First time I’ve had this occur coaching and fist year umpiring. 

1 hour ago, crussellii said:

Coaching my 13 year old team in tournament today our team playing defense, R1 only PU announces Balk, batter hits grounder threw F5 as everyone freezes. F7 throws ball back into F6, to F1. OBR rules, PU tells coach he gets choice of play or balk. Of course he takes play now has R2 and R1. I didn’t think coach had option on Balks. If BR was put out then balk would have be applied. Since BR reached safely, no balk on play. What is correct ruling on this? First time I’ve had this occur coaching and fist year umpiring. 

Contgratulations!  This may be your first year umpiring but you have achieved a level of understanding of the OBR balk rule beyond the comprehension of some multi year umpires. It also is within the comprehension of many other umpires but they don't care to make the effort to learn the rules. You will have to tread lightly among your unknowing cohorts and may have to grin and bear it. You have the correct ruling. 

5 hours ago, Jimurray said:

Contgratulations!  This may be your first year umpiring but you have achieved a level of understanding of the OBR balk rule beyond the comprehension of some multi year umpires. It also is within the comprehension of many other umpires but they don't care to make the effort to learn the rules. You will have to tread lightly among your unknowing cohorts and may have to grin and bear it. You have the correct ruling. 

I wasn’t 100% certain but I don’t call out my cohorts anyways. I find myself watching mechanics and paying attention to the my peers to still trying to learn and not watching the game itself. He called a great game and his zone was consistent all game. I have a lot of respect now and coaches could learn so much more about the game if they were made to strap on gear and call sole games. 

I'm a little confused on the OP.  It says "everyone freezes"  (which I infer as BR stayed near the plate, R1 stayed near first) but it also says the result of the play was "R1 and R2" (which I infer as not everyone freezing).

The correct ruling depends on what really happened

29 minutes ago, noumpere said:

I'm a little confused on the OP.  It says "everyone freezes"  (which I infer as BR stayed near the plate, R1 stayed near first) but it also says the result of the play was "R1 and R2" (which I infer as not everyone freezing).

The correct ruling depends on what really happened

i took the R1 & R2 as a result of the "play" and award by the umpires 

No the defense froze on the balk call as honestly first time any of the kids have had a balk called and a pitch hit. Once the ball went to F7, R1 advanced on the hit and BR ran to first. I should have said defense froze on balk call. No outs were made, but PU then asked Coach if he wanted to accept the play or take the balk. This was a first for me as both a coach and new umpire. At the end of the day I guess it didn’t hurt anything, but just trying to clarify rule. 

Umpires had it easy in our game, found out in the game after ours HC ejected in first inning, bottom of 7th kid hits inside park Grand slam, only to have R3 hop over home plate and gets called out on appeal. Out number 3 and HT loses. Player ejected, cops called. I mean this is 13U baseball, a trophy isn’t worth this kind of behavior. 

We lost a close game today and both teams were pleasant, not one call or play was argued. I can say in the past I’ve never really paid attention to what umpires endure in youth sports. I’m sure most of the veteran umpires on here have similar horror stories and it’s only a matter of time before I get mine. 

10 hours ago, crussellii said:

No the defense froze on the balk call as honestly first time any of the kids have had a balk called and a pitch hit. Once the ball went to F7, R1 advanced on the hit and BR ran to first.

Then the umpire got it right but for the wrong reason.

10 hours ago, crussellii said:

it’s only a matter of time before I get mine. 

Unfortunately, that's probably true.

• 7 months later...

A lot of umpires confuse the CI and balk rules.  CI gives the coach the choice this balk does not.  But 99% of coaches are going to take the result of the play (since all runners and the batter are advancing) and ignore the balk, so it never gets pointed out.

On ‎2‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 4:24 PM, umpire_scott said:

A lot of umpires confuse the CI and balk rules.  CI gives the coach the choice this balk does not.  But 99% of coaches are going to take the result of the play (since all runners and the batter are advancing) and ignore the balk, so it never gets pointed out.

Just to clarify, no balk gives a coach a choice.  The balk is either enforced, or it's not. No options.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So, in Fed a balk is an immediate dead ball, right? Meaning if you call a balk and the pitcher continues with pitch and the batter crushes a HR it's a no pitch, right?  Or should you wait to call the balk until the pitch is over?  

8 minutes ago, Rock Bottom said:

So, in Fed a balk is an immediate dead ball, right? Meaning if you call a balk and the pitcher continues with pitch and the batter crushes a HR it's a no pitch, right?  Or should you wait to call the balk until the pitch is over?  

Nope. Call it right away. We had one tonight. Balk. Batter swung and flew out to F8. All irrelevant after the balk. 

• Like 1