Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
JoeC

Unsportsmanlike Conduct Ejection

Using Little League rules

During a local 9-12 league playoff game the defensive team made 3 or 4 errors in a row that allowed the other team score a few runs. Of course one of the defensive teams coaches started to talk to his team. He was starting to a little loud. Then the coach starts to degrade  (calling them idiots) the players that were out on the field. At that point I told him enough. He proceeded to tell me that he was not talking to me. As soon as he said that I heard the manager of the team tell him to stop. But would he? Nope. So I ejected him. The coach then asked me why I tossed him and I proceeded to tell him that it was for unsportsmanlike conduct.

Would any of you have given the manager a chance to calm the coach down before tossing the coach?

• Thanks 1

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
3 hours ago, JoeC said:

During a local 9-12 league playoff game the defensive team made 3 or 4 errors in a row that allowed the other team score a few runs. Of course one of the defensive teams coaches started to talk to his team. He was starting to a little loud. Then the coach starts to degrade  (calling them idiots) the players that were out on the field. At that point I told him enough. He proceeded to tell me that he was not talking to me. As soon as he said that I heard the manager of the team tell him to stop. But would he? Nope. So I ejected him. The coach then asked me why I tossed him and I proceeded to tell him that it was for unsportsmanlike conduct.

Would any of you have given the manager a chance to calm the coach down before tossing the coach?

They are kids.

You warned. He continued. You ejected.

No concerns here!

3 hours ago, JoeC said:

He proceeded to tell me that he was not talking to me.

"I know: that's the problem."

Good EJ.

Did tournament officials review/recite the LL Parent/Volunteer Pledge?

I will teach all children to play fair, and do their best coach fail

I will positively support all Managers, Coaches & Players coach fail

I will respect the decisions of the Umpires coach fail

I will praise a good effort, despite the outcome of the game. coach fail

See the source image

As a LL Umpire working Sectionals at the moment, let me take the time to THANK YOU for doing your job.

1,000,000,000,000,000+% perfect choice.

• Like 2

On ‎7‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 5:27 AM, JoeC said:

Had the same coach last night. Not a word from him. It was a peaceful night.

I love it.

2 hours ago, JoeC said:

Had the same coach last night. Not a word from him. It was a peaceful night.

Lesson learned.... for both of you! 

59 minutes ago, Mister B said:

If he was ejected from a LL playoff game, he's out for good. 

It was the league playoffs not a LL international tournament game

16 hours ago, JoeC said:

It was the league playoffs not a LL international tournament game

Ejection means suspension from the next played game in both the regular-season and the tournament under Little League rules.

@basejester's comment about suspension reminded of this:

a bit of a tangent - I was a coach for a 11U Williamsport team a few years back, opposing kid comes to the plate for the second time, our kids say batter has a big barrel bat (2 3/4 vs required 2 1/4") we appeal to umpire, PU has to talk to TD, after about 5-10 mins, they EJ the kid and the HC, both out for next game (if they had one - IIRC we were in the loser bracket at the time).  Of course opposing team is on the first base side, so  I go out to coach first the next inning, and man was I catching crap from the fans, I ignored and didn't engage them.  So I understood what some of you guys go thru with the fans :D

However felt like turning and saying, "and if he had hit the ball and injured one of our players with an illegal bat... what then?"

The EJ for the coach during the tournament throws people for a loop... they think it is an out and a don't do that again... problem is, this is the big tournament and LL does not take kindly to what they consider cheating. All equipment is looked at prior to the game, so how did that 2.75" get in there, humm?

4 hours ago, Mudisfun said:

The EJ for the coach during the tournament throws people for a loop... they think it is an out and a don't do that again... problem is, this is the big tournament and LL does not take kindly to what they consider cheating. All equipment is looked at prior to the game, so how did that 2.75" get in there, humm?

It wasn’t looked at for either team as I recall. Around here, it seemed that the crews they brought in to umpire the tournament games were of “higher level” and not used to working LL 

Our group, as much as we get tired of doing it does inspect helmets and bats prior to every game.

But even if we did not... this late into the season and the tournament, a 2.75" bat should be a well known no-no.